Connect with us

News

Police pursue dispute angle in Walibora’s death

Published

on

Man of letters Ken Walibora was embroiled in a dispute with a publisher over a book in the week leading up to his death.

This is one of the theories police are pursuing as investigations into his death begin.

Police came up with the theory after analysing mobile phone records of the professor.

Police are also pursuing leads on whether the author was picked up by another car after parking his own on Kijabe Street in the hours leading up to his death.

CAR DUSTED
The Riara University lecturer was knocked down by a matatu on Landhies Road, more than three kilometres from where he left his car on Friday morning.
The guards who saw him park the car have been questioned. The car, which is at the Central Police Station, has also been dusted for fingerprints.

Police remain tight-lipped on the contents of the CCTV footage that might have captured the incident.

A post-mortem exam showed that Prof Walibora’s body had stab wounds on one of his hands.

Meanwhile, the writer will be buried at his Makutano home in Cherang’any constituency Wednesday.

By Tuesday evening, the homicide investigating unit was still attempting to establish how he sustained the cut in his right hand.

READ ALSO:   Series of blunders that dealt a death blow to Walibora

Dr Johansen Oduor said last week that the wounds suggested that Prof Walibora may have been trying to defend himself.

Sources at the Directorate of Criminal Investigations said members of the Serious Crimes Unit held a meeting to analyse evidence.

Serious Crimes Unit head Joseph Kariuki said investigators would rely on mobile phone call data.

There are reports that Prof Walibora was being chased by a group of men when he was hit by the minibus belonging to Double M company.

Preparations for the burial were underway at his home, with Trans Nzoia County authorities insisting that attendance would be limited to 15 mourners, in line with the Ministry of Health guidelines meant to contain the spread of the coronavirus.

County Commissioner Samson Ojwang said only family members would attend the burial.

“There will be no crowd. Even the number of journalists will be restricted,” Mr Ojwang told the Nation.
He asked the family to forward the names of those expected at the ceremony through the area chief.

“We have selected some close relatives, friends and neighbours to be part of the burial. It is sad that the coronavirus situation will lock out many from paying their last respects to Ken,” Prof Walibora’s stepmother Eunice Wafula told the Nation

Meanwhile, the Kenya Publishers Association has eulogised Prof Walibora as a prolific writer.

READ ALSO:   Detectives seek call data in Walibora death probe

Association chairman Lawrence Njagi said Prof Walibora would be remembered for his book Siku Njema, “which has been read countless times by millions of Kenyans”.

Prof Walibora, who also worked as journalist at Nation Media Group, was the director of the Global and Language Studies Centre at Riara University at the time of his death.

By Nation

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Official video of Kenyan MPs participating in ‘Jerusalema Challenge’ released

Published

on

The awaited video of Kenyan politicians dancing to the ‘Jerusalama’ hit song has finally been uploaded on their Kenya’s National Assembly YouTube.

This comes just a few weeks after Suba North MP Millie Odhiambo proposed this motion in parliament; hoping to be the first parliament in the world to take part in the challenge. And for a minute many assumed that this could not work; until the video finally surfaced on online on Wednesday, 21 October.

Probably because this challenge had already been exhausted by many judging from the many videos of the challenge circulating on social media.

Kenyan politicians participate in Jerusalema video

Anyway, whether you like it or not, Kenyan politicians have gone ahead to release a new video; showing off their dance moves in their ‘Jerusalama challenge.‘ In a video shared less than 2 hours ago, the many politicians are seen grooving to the South African hit song….. and we love it!

By Ghafla.com

READ ALSO:   Family cries foul after kin is buried at 3am
Continue Reading

News

Governor Kingi tell off DP Ruto over hustler movement

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

Kilifi Governor Amason Kingi has torn into wheelbarrow initiatives by Deputy President William Ruto terming it a political gimmick that has no benefit to Kenyans.

While addressing Kilifi residents during this year’s Mashujaa Day celebrations at Pwani University grounds the governor said Kenyans will only be freed from poverty, tribalism, and unemployment through the Building Bridges Initiative (BBI).

“The same that are opposing the BBI are the ones going out to give out wheelbarrows as handouts. So they are blocking you from getting the benefits of the BBI and think that they can blindfold you with wheelbarrows,” he said.

Kingi who was in the company of Kilifi County Commissioner Kutswa Olaka said that the BBI report has outlined various interventions including increasing money to counties from the current 15 per cent they are receiving, a situation he said will improve the lives of the residents in counties.

“We have been pushing for the increase of funds to counties from the current 15 per cent and that has been addressed in the BBI report. But it baffles me that someone would go to an extent of opposing the document with all these interventions and then the only thing he gives is wheelbarrows. This is unfair and such people should be ignored,” the governor added.

READ ALSO:   Detectives seek call data in Walibora death probe

Kingi downplayed the hustler narrative saying that the DP is far away richer than the people he wants to lie to always.

“If you are hustler like him, then show me your chopper, your luxury houses not one and the luxury cars you own and then we shall know that you are like him. Other than that, then you are cheating yourself away,” he said.

He called on President Uhuru Kenyatta and opposition leader Raila Odinga to immediately release the contents of the BBI report to Kenyans so that the speculative agenda by the Tangatanga team can be silenced.

“If we continue to withhold the report, the prophets of doom will continue to speculate and continue to lie to Kenyans about its contents, I am asking the President and Mr Odinga to release the report,” he added.

Kingi also promised to help deliver and explain the BBI document to his residents, insisting that he will lead in ensuring that Kilifi gets to know the importance of what is contained in the document.

“I will move out as a Governor in 2022 and another person will come in but if BBI is not addressed then the challenges that are there will still exist. I will be in my most pains when after retirement, the only thing I will see in Kilifi is wheelbarrows. That is not what we want as Kilifi residents,” he said.

Continue Reading

News

Jacob ‘Ghost’ Mulee named the new Harambee Stars coach

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

Celebrated coach and media personality Jacob Ghost Mulee has made a return to the National team.

This comes just a day after Head coach Francis Kimanzi and his entire technical team was shown the door.

Football Kenya Federation (FKF) confirmed the appointment of Jacob ‘Ghost’ Mulee and has since unveiled him.

Mulee first assignment is to prepare the team that will face Comoros in AFCON Qualifier match that’s set to be played in November.

Kimanzi left the scene after he masterminded what had been tipped to be an unlikely friendly win against Zambia on October 9 at Nyayo Stadium.

He was appointed in 2019 to replace Sebastien Migne who he worked with as an assistant coach.

Mulee return reminds Kenyans when national team charges helped to qualify for the 2004 Afcon edition in Tunisia.

He is also credited to have mentored the current J1 League top scorer Michael Olunga and his appointment has provided an opportunity for the duo to work again at national level.

Under Nick Mwendwa Mulee becomes the fifth coach to have been appointed since he took office in 2016.

Stanley Okumbi took over in February 2016 and exited in October 2017 while Paul Put who led Kenya to Cecafa title took over in November 2017 and left in February 2018.

READ ALSO:   Autopsy reveals Ken Walibora had deep knife cuts & two missing teeth

Migne who led the country to the 2019 Afcon finals but, a Chan qualifying setback against Tanzania saw him part ways with the team on mutual consent paving the way for Kimanzi’s rise to the helm.

Kimanzi remained in charge from August 2019 to October 20, 2020, and he left just days after Mwendwa had secured another four-year term as the FKF president.

Mulee and his technical bench are expected to help Harambee Stars fight for back-to-back Afcon qualifications with two matches against Egypt and Togo already played.

Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!