Connect with us

News

Questions raised on why author’s death was not reported

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

The introverted nature of literary icon Ken Walibora conspired to keep his disappearance and death unknown even to close family members until colleagues began looking for him four days after he was hit and killed by a matatu.

Questions have emerged on why the hit-and-run tragedy was reported to police more than four hours after it occurred on the fateful Friday.

Why was the writer never reported as missing until Monday evening? Prof Walibora, who until his death was a lecturer at Riara University, was crossing Landhies Road in Nairobi when he was run over by the minibus.

Completing the file By yesterday evening, Mr George Muturi — believed to be the Double M bus driver involved in the accident — was still roaming free.

Police say Mr Muturi is likely to be arraigned for causing death by dangerous driving.

The 9am accident was reported at the Kamukunji Police Station at 2pm. The station is just metres from the scene of the accident.

Nairobi Central Police Commander Mark Wanjala told the Nation that the matter had been taken up by homicide detectives in the Directorate of Criminal Investigations.

READ ALSO:   Police pursue dispute angle in Walibora’s death

A post-mortem exam on Prof Walibora’s body is expected this morning.

“We do not have orders to detain the driver because our file is not complete. A post-mortem will help complete the file,” Mr Wanjala added.

“The traffic team might say the victim was crossing the road at a non- designated area when there’s more. The homicide detectives will review CCTV cameras to find out exactly what happened.”

It has also emerged that the writer was so badly injured in the crash that he could not talk.

Friends, colleagues and relatives interviewed said they did not know what the professor was doing in the area.

The writer left his house at Lavington Heights in Nairobi early Friday the morning.

An entry at the gate shows he left at 7.18am in his car, registration number KBJ 802Y.

Social media Prof Walibora lived alone in House C-1 on the ground floor.

“He was jovial as he always has been,” Mr Ken Kizito, a caretaker at the apartments, told the Nation.

Security officers echoed his sentiments.

The caretaker said he did not bother to follow up on whether Prof Walibora came back that day since residents often leave and return at will.

He added that it was common for the Siku Njema author to disappear for days.

READ ALSO:   Detectives seek call data in Walibora death probe

On Kijabe Street, where his car was found, there were conflicting reports on when it was parked there. A guard said it was on Friday morning but a Nairobi County parking official said Thursday morning.

The guard said Prof Walibora, who was in a black striped T-shirt and open shoes, was alone when he arrived.

“I thought it was a man who had disagreed with his employer and decided to leave the vehicle for the owner to look for him,” the guard said, adding that he got suspicious when the car remained at the parking lot for two days.

Interestingly, no one bothered to report the abandoned car to the police until its number plate began doing the rounds on social media after it emerged that the author had died several days earlier.

“An individual who had seen the news on TV went closer to the car at the parking and read the names Ken Waliaula Atanasi on a sticker and reported to us,” the police commander added.

Prof Walibora’s death remained unknown until Monday evening, when his former colleagues at Nation Media Group (NMG) began looking for him.

Some who knew where he lived called the caretaker inquiring about his whereabouts.


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

How top-level meeting allowed Radisson hotel to block Arboretum road

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Arboretum park lane has become the latest public road to have a barrier erected, much to the chagrin of many Nairobi residents.

Anyone who wishes to access the Nairobi Arboretum park, Kenya Forest Service, State House, State House Primary School, Kenya Girl Guides Association, Jabali Elementary School as well as the Radisson Blu hotel will have to pass through the Arboretum park lane.

The erection of the barrier left Nairobi Senator Johnson Sakaja seething with rage. And he registered his disapproval on social media.

“The Nairobi Arboretum is a public space that many Nairobians enjoy. The road leading up to it is also a public road. A private entity (Radisson) has put up a barrier on this public road where members of the public are screened. I have asked @NMS_Kenya to deal ASAP,” Sakaja wrote on Twitter.

He then warned Radisson hotel to remove the barrier.

Nation.Africa can, however, confirm that the barrier was erected after meetings of stakeholders and the Westlands sub-county security team.

Arboretum park lane has become the latest public road to have a barrier erected.

Amina Wako | Nation Media Group

The stakeholders, who included State House, Kenya Forest Service Arboretum, Jabali Elementary, Kenya Girl Guides Association, National Police Service and Radisson Blu requested to have the barrier erected for security reasons.

The conversation to have the barrier started after the January 2019 DusitD2 complex attack.

READ ALSO:   Autopsy reveals Ken Walibora had deep knife cuts & two missing teeth

The boda-boda operators who camped outside the Arboretum entrance waiting for or dropping clients visiting the park also worried them.

As the conversation was going on, in July 2019, an intruder was shot and injured after he climbed over one of the State House gates.

The need to have a barrier became even more urgent.

So, they contacted the Kenya Urban Roads Authority (Kura) and they were allowed to erect the barrier.

“We are aware of the barrier. We allowed it there because of the security reasons raised by the stakeholders. Remember it is not a throughway, so it is important to know who goes in and comes out to avoid incidents like the State House intruder,” John Cheboi, the chief corporate communications officer at Kura, said.

Thereafter, the stakeholders, through Leisure Park Development Limited — the mother company of Radisson Blu Hotel — on December 10, 2019, wrote to Nairobi City County about the proposed erection of the security barrier.

And, on January 17 this year, the county replied granting permission for the work to begin.

“Authority to erect 1 No. security barrier to serve Plot L.R. No. 1870/X/106 on Arboretum Drive is hereby granted to you subject to compliance with the following conditions…” the letter, signed on February 17, 2020 by the Nairobi Chief Officer, Roads, Public Works and Transport, Eng. F.N. Karanja, read in part.

READ ALSO:   Series of blunders that dealt a death blow to Walibora

The council also acknowledged receiving Sh10,000 inspection fees for the work.

The work was, however, postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic, which was first reported in Kenya in March this year.

What followed next was government restrictions to curb the spread of the virus.

According to Edward Momanyi, the Food and Beverage Manager at Radisson Blu, the Sub-County Security Committee visited the hotel in September and spelt out conditions for erecting the barrier.

“The team, led by Westlands Deputy County Commissioner Mwai Gicheru, visited the area in September. They cited the conditions as a bulletproof guard booth, two armed police officers, and two security guards,” Mr Momanyi told Nation.Africa.

Because of the cost implications, the stakeholders met again on November 11, 2020, at the hotel.

“We invited everyone around this area including State House. We discussed the cost of setting up the barrier, bulletproof guard booth, two armed police officers and two security guards and how it would be shared among ourselves,” Mr Momanyi said.

But council warned that should any member of the public or residents along the Arboretum park lane object to the erection of the barrier, the barrier will be removed.

“That you be required to bind yourselves to the conditional clause of removing the barrier should the Nairobi City County receive reasonable objection to the barrier from one or more area residents or other members of the public,” the letter read in part.

READ ALSO:   BREAKING: Renowned author Ken Walibora is dead

“You shall indemnify the Nairobi City County against any litigation that may arise as a result of these works,” read one of the nine conditions set by Nairobi City County.

“This approval is valid if the works commence and are completed within three months,” it further said.

Arboretum becomes the latest public road to have obstacles.

In September this year, Muthaiga Residents Association mounted a roadblock restricting access to the suburb by boda-boda operators, commercial vehicles and pedestrians.

An email from the association’s secretariat, dated September 22, said the move was due to security reasons.

“No motorbikes and commercial vehicles are allowed to enter Main Muthaiga Road from Oil Libya Plaza, Kiambu Road and from Mini Muthaiga Round-about including house-helps, construction site employees,” read the email signed by Christine Chiriba, for the secretariat.

Further, residents were asked to provide details of their employees, including job card or a letter indicating the name of the staffer, ID number, plot or house number, employer and their contact number.

In 2014, the county assembly moved a motion to remove barriers erected on public roads by the Runda Residents Association.

by Nationafrica


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Lifestyle

TRAGIC: Woman kills self after realising hubby’s plan to get second wife

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

A 38-year-old woman has committed suicide in Migori after learning that her husband had a secret lover he was planning to marry.

According to police reports, the body of Pamela Atieno was found dangling from the roof of her house on Friday morning at their rural home in Kameji sub-location, Rongo sub-county.

Chief John Agoro who reported the incident to Rongo Police Station said that Atieno took her life after she learnt that her husband was planning to marry a second wife.

“The deceased reportedly differed with her husband after she learned that he had another lover and was planning to marry her as a second wife,” said Agoro.

Atieno is reported to have left a suicide note to her husband before taking her life.

“I have decided to die because of your secret plan to (marry) another wife,” the suicide note read in part.

Never differed

Michael Ondito, the woman’s husband, however, denied arguing with Atieno, adding that he had gone to the farm only to come and find his wife had killed herself.

“I was called when I was at the farm in the morning but upon reaching home I found the body of my wife hanging on a rope on our doorstep, I was surprised because we had not quarrelled or fought,” said Onditi.

READ ALSO:   Police pursue dispute angle in Walibora’s death

Chief Agoro, however, condemned the action saying people should find other ways of solving family differences.

“Domestic problems should not lead to people killing themselves. We are supposed to look for guidance and counselling experts,” the administrator said.

Rongo police boss Peter Okiring while confirming the incident said police received the information and went there to collect the body which was transferred to Rosewood Hospital’s morgue.

“We have launched our investigation into the matter but we are yet to confirm the reason why the deceased committed suicide,” said Okiring.

BY Standardmedia.co.ke


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Terence’s wife Milly Chebby savagely attacks troll who called her a hippo

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Terence Creative’s wife Milly Chebby is tired of body-shamers. She’s not giving them a room to pin her down with their negativity.

Well, the mother of one has savagely clapped back at a fan who compared her to a hippopotamus. The fan, identified as Winfred, body-shamed Milly, offering to help her reduce her tummy.

‘Kuja nikuuzie dawa ya kumaliza tumbo 🤔’

Chebby savagely responded and she wrote

‘Uzia mamako.’

Chebby vs troll

Winfred went ahead to troll the YouTuber, comparing her to a hippo.

‘hippopotamus binguni utapata mwili mpya,’ Winfred posted.

The plus-size media personality responded and she wrote,

@wi.nfred3517 Kuja na real account tukuone Beyonce huyu hippo ako tu sawa hivi 🖕.

Milly Chebby

by Mpasho.co.ke


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
READ ALSO:   Series of blunders that dealt a death blow to Walibora
Continue Reading

Special Offer: Own one starting at Ksh 3.7M


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending