Connect with us

News

Govt asks India for permission to pick up stranded Kenyans

Published

on

Kenya says it has formally asked the Indian government to allow stranded Kenyans to assemble at one point for a planned repatriation flight.

On Wednesday, Kenya’s High Commissioner to India Willy Bett told the Nation that he expects the India government to allow Kenyans scattered in the country to travel freely to new Delhi for a planned Kenya Airways flight on May 8.

Most of them, according to information at the Kenyan Mission, are in New Delhi, Chennai in Tamil Nadu, Hyderabad in Telangana, and Bangalore in Karnataka. Others are in Ahmedabad in Gujarat and Mumbai.

The diplomat said the Mission will organise transportation to Delhi and will announce pick-up locations later.

INDIA RESTRICTIONS

The Indian government has imposed travel restrictions between cities in a bid to lower infection rates for the Covid-19.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi extended a 21-day lockdown till May 3 but it wasn’t clear if the restrictions will be extended.

In case India extends it, Mr Bett said, his Mission asked authorities in India to give Kenyans who bought tickets for the flight special permission to travel from May 1.

The idea is to have them assemble in New Delhi, he said, so that the KQ flight can repatriate them.

READ ALSO:   Painful return for man whose wife died in India

“FACILITATION”

KQ required at least 200 passengers to sign up for the “chartered” flight, but the government described it as an arrangement with KQ to help Kenyans willing to pay but stranded to come back home.

On Wednesday, the tickets for that flight were being sold from Sh85, 894 for business class and Sh45,635 for economy.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in a notice sent to Kenyans on April 28 via Kenya’s High Commission in Delhi, confirmed an arrangement to fly some 223 Kenyans caught up in the lockdown.

“The planned flight will depart from Mumbai on May 7, 2020 at 1200 hrs,” the diplomat told the Nation.

“This is neither an evacuation nor a repatriation but simply a facilitation to help stranded Kenyans get home. Tthat is why they have to pay.”

PATIENTS

An investigation by the Nation found that at least122 Kenyan patients were ready and willing to pay for tickets.

Data from the commission indicated that over 1000 Kenyans registered last week when a notice was put up but that only 22 indicated their wish to return home.

“Some have fallen sick again due to the lengthy stay and the circumstances and have been re-admitted,” said Jecinter Hezron, a Kenyan who took her mother to India for treatment and is the spokesperson of a group of over 100 Kenyan patients stranded in Bengaluru, Karnataka State and other parts of India.

READ ALSO:   'How we survived on ugali and rice in India

Agnes Kavovi Kalii Kiminza, 51, who underwent chemotherapy, surgery and radiation at CyteCare Cancer Hospital in Bangalore, said she was overjoyed by news of the flight.

She planned to fly home on April 7 but wasn’t able to due to the lockdown .

“The timely intervention and genuine concern about our well-being is evident. We are proud Kenyans … I received the notice with great joy … It was like a breath of fresh air,” she said.

By NN

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Lifestyle

Ex-military officer accused of killing ex-wife, children wants ATM cards released

Published

on

A former senior military officer at the Laikipia Air Base accused of murdering his ex-wife and her two children has asked the court to allow him to get back ATM cards and other personal items confiscated by police.

Major Peter Mugure told Justice Abigail Mshila that detectives took away his ATM cards which may not be used as evidence in the murder case, where he is accused of killing his ex-wife Joyce Syombua, Shanice Maua and Prince Michael.

“They took away a number of personal items including my ATM cards. I’m asking to have them returned to me because I do not think they are part of the evidence,” Mugure told the Justice Mshila in a virtual court session.

Although some of the personal items could be used as part of the evidence, Mshila told Mugure to make a list of the items and asked defence counsel to check the inventory and make an application for the release of items that state doesn’t need as evidence.

“Some of the personal items like clothing, or ATM cards could be taken for analysis to enable show your movements. The inventory is in the prosecution file and you could make a list of the items you need to be released,” said Mshila.

READ ALSO:   'How we survived on ugali and rice in India

The case in which Mugure is jointly accused with Collins Pamba, a former employee at Laikipia Air Base was coming up for hearing on Tuesday but it was postponed to a later date following the transfer of Judge Jairus Ngaah who was handling the matter in Nyeri.

Mugure joined the session from King’ong’o GK Prison in Nyeri and Pamba at Kerugoya prison.

The two are accused of killing the deceased parsons on October 26 last year at the Laikipia Air Base situated in Nanyuki.

The three bodies were recovered buried in a shallow grave after Pamba led police to the site at Kilimo area in Thingithu, in the outskirts of Nanyuki town.

In the previous session when the ex-major was denied bail on February 21, Justice Ngaah cited damning evidence in Pamba’s affidavit implicating Mugure in the gruesome murder of his ex-lover and his two children.

Pamba’s statement as recorded in court file detailed how Mugure called him from Nairobi on a material day and asked for his help to the ferry and bury the bodies and in return, help the casual worker secure employment at Kenya Defense Forces.

The mentioned date was scheduled for December 9.

By Standardmedia.co.ke

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Former news anchors Hussein Mohamed, Yussuf Ibrahim proudly work alongside each other for USAID initiative

Published

on

Former Citizen TV news anchor Hussein Mohammed has been doing perfectly fine since he left his plum job.

Former news anchors Hussein Mohamed, Yussuf Ibrahim proudly work alongside each other for USAID initiative

Hussein Mohamed, Yussuf Ibrahim proudly working alongside each other for USAID initiative. Photo credits: Yussuf Ibrahim.
Source: Facebook

Posting on social media, journalist Yussuf Ibrahim revealed that he has been working closely with the media guru on the Resilience Learning Activity (RLA), a project funded by USAID Kenya.

“Proud to be working with my senior @HusseinMohamedg in this very noble initiative RLA (Resilience Learning Activity) funded by USAID Kenya The webinars involved the capacity building of ASALs County stakeholders on crisis communication more so during the ongoing #COVID19 pandemic,” wrote Ibrahim.

Ibrahim who is a communication strategist and voice-over artist is the founder of Ubra Media.

Many people were amazed by the duo and took to the various platforms to congratulate them for their good work.

A Facebook user identified as Cathra Hussein commented:

“Ma Sha Allah am so proud of you, the sky is no longer the limit.”

Abumuhsin Ibrahim commended them for their win:

Yussuf Ibrahim great job proud of you Hussein for a great job!!

Adow Mohamed added:

Sons and media stars of the north. Keep soaring.

Abdul-Hakeem Mohammed commented:

Mashallah, Big men!congratulations.

Hussein left the Royal Media-owned station in 2019.

The former news anchor revealed to fans that he will be taking a break off the screen after October 2019.

In a post seen by TUKO.co.ke on Friday, October 4, the journalist stated he will use his break from TV to concentrate on other matters.

Hussein thanked his colleagues at Citizen for sharing the best moments of his life with him.

It is also through his post that he revealed to fans and followers that he has worked for Citizen TV for ten years.

”It has been a wonderful 10 years at Citizen TV. I have enjoyed and relished every moment I shared with my colleagues at RMS. I have decided to take a break after October In Sha Allah to concentrate on other matters. Loved the fans, the critics and everything in between. See you soon,” he wrote.‬

By Tuko.co.ke

READ ALSO:   'How we survived on ugali and rice in India
Continue Reading

News

Italians, police clash over new COVID-19 restrictions 

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

Violent protests broke out across Italy on Monday over new restrictions to curb the country’s second wave of COVID-19

Clashes were reported in several major cities – including Turin, where petrol bombs were thrown at officers.

In Milan tear gas was used to disperse protesters, while violence was also reported in Naples.

The demonstrations began soon after the national government’s order to close restaurants, bars, gyms and cinemas came into effect at 18:00 local time.

Many regions have also imposed night-time curfews – including Lombardy, where Milan is, and Piedmont, where Turin is.

Protests took place in about a dozen other cities, including Rome, Genoa, Palermo and Trieste.

While an initial national lockdown earlier this year was complied with peacefully, the announcement of renewed measures has been met with immediate pushback.

Small businesses argue that they are still recovering from that first lockdown, and that more restrictions could bankrupt them.

A number of luxury stores in central Turin, including a Gucci boutique, were ransacked by crowds that spilled into the streets after the rules came into force.

Demonstrators let off firecrackers and lit flares, while police in riot gear responded with tear gas.

In Milan, crowds chanted “Freedom, freedom, freedom!” as they clashed with police in the city centre.

READ ALSO:   'How we survived on ugali and rice in India

The city is the capital of Lombardy, which has been particularly hard hit by the virus.

In the new measures restaurants, bars and cafes areto stop table service at 18:00 and offer only take-away until midnight.

Contact sports are prohibited but shops and most business

The new restrictions, which are in force until 24 November, will also see 75% of classes at Italy’s high schools and universities conducted online instead of in a classroom.

Regional governments had asked for all classes to be conducted via distance learning, Italian media reported, but the move was opposed by Education Minister Lucia Azzolina.

The government is also urging people not to travel outside their home towns or cities unless absolutely necessary and to avoid using public transport if possible.

“We think that we will suffer a bit this month but by gritting our teeth with these restrictions, we’ll be able to breathe again in December,” Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte told a news conference on Sunday.

Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending