Connect with us


Parents of banker killed in car inferno now demand answers



The parents of Terence Korir, the Nairobi banker who was burned to death inside his car, have called on the Director of Criminal Investigation to conduct thorough investigations into his death.

Speaking in Chepkurbet village in Ainamoi constituency, Korir’s father Sammy Maritim said he was yet to come to terms with the death of his beloved second-born son.

“Up to now, I still can’t believe that my son is dead. It will take time for it to sink in. It’s very hard to comprehend the circumstances that led to his death,” he said.

Two local members of the clergy on Wednesday broke the news of Korir’s death to the family after photos of his charred remains on the driver’s seat of his Subaru Impreza went viral on social media.

Police have not ruled out murder or suicide as they pursue the mystery behind his demise.

A postmortem examination is planned for Tuesday to tell what caused the death and give direction on the next course of action. It was pushed from yesterday Friday because it was a holiday and most of those supposed to attend were not present, police said.

Based on the position of the charred remains in the driver’s seat, police say it would appear Korir never tried to move.

READ ALSO:   Shock as decomposing body in a sack found in school compound

“He seems not to have struggled to run away from the fire. Unless he was trapped or drugged, we suspect he may have wanted to die,” said an officer handling the matter.

Police have talked to at least five people, including his family, first responders and guards as part of the probe into the incident. His friends, too, told police he was disturbed. The motive of the incident is yet to be established.

Sammy Maritim and his wife Betsy at their home in Chepkurbet village, Ainamoi constituency. They are the parents of Terence Korir, the Nairobi banker who was burned to death inside his car. [Nikko Tanui, Standard]

Last call

Even as police pursue the case, Mr Maritim, a retired Unilever Tea company assistant manager, recalled he last spoke with his son on phone on Tuesday.

“It was just a social call. He called to find out how I and his mother were doing. He did not indicate he was in any kind of danger from anyone or anything,” he said.

“He loved his family. He brought them to the village last December for Christmas,” he added. Maritim said he called Korir’s widow on Wednesday night.“I just passed my message of condolence to her and the children,” he said.

READ ALSO:   More queries on death of city bank staffer in car fire

Hard working

The banker’s mother, Betsy Maritim, described her son as a hard worker.

They last spoke on Tuesday, when she called to inquire how he and his other siblings in Nairobi were coping with the partial lockdown.

“He said he was at his brother’s house at the time and was about to leave to beat the 7pm curfew. Those were his last words with me,” she said.

Betsy had kind words for her daughter-in-law, who is being vilified online.

“I have never had any issue with her. We are constantly in touch. We even talked on Tuesday night and she informed me that she had just cooked dinner and they were enjoying it with her family,” she said.

Police also suspect there could be evidence to link the death to arson because the engine and trunk of the car were not affected. But the inner part of the car was damaged.

Neighbours and guards said the car caught fire as Korir started the engine to leave for work.Buru Buru police boss Adamson Bungei said preliminary analysis of the wreckage showed only the inner part was damaged, killing the driver who was alone in the car.

“The engine and rear part of the car is intact and the fire concentrated inside. We don’t know what happened, but experts are on the case,” said Bungei.

READ ALSO:   Autopsy to establish cause of death of Buruburu man killed in car fire

By Standard

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Kabi Wa Jesus returns car gift because it is too low for Kenyan roads 




Kenyan YouTuber Kabi Wa Jesus has returned his newly acquired Audi A5 car gifted to him by his wife Milly WaJesus on his birthday.

Speaking on their YouTube channel, the social media sensation explained that as much as the car was everything he dreamed of, it became hectic navigating the Kenyan roads because it was too low.

“First of all I want to say a big thank you for the overwhelming support you guys showed us when my love surprised me with this German machine over here and you know I’m super grateful but aki please guys don’t come for me, I’m just saying but this is not to refuse the gift.

“This is it, I wanted this car because it is low, classy-looking and clean and that’s why my love got it. However, my love wanted a Q5 which is like a million bob more. It’s a bigger car, still an Audi but it’s a million bob more and it’s higher.

“So she went ahead and got it for me but after driving it for like four days I felt it’s low to be honest. It doesn’t feel as easy to drive especially on our road. Where we stay is very interior. Now this is what I’m thinking, I’m thinking we add that million bob and upgrade to a bigger car, the Audi Q5,” he said.

READ ALSO:   Shock as decomposing body in a sack found in school compound

According to Milly WaJesus, her decision to ‘purchase’ the Audi Q5 was because of the roads but since her husband wanted a low car she sacrificed her preference and got him what he wanted.

“So my problem has been this for a long time, Kabi wanted a Mercedes-Benz E-Class then we settled on an Audi, but he wanted a car that was low.

“I kept telling him it’s not about where we live because we can always move if we wanted to but it’s about the roads we have in our country and it is unfortunate that you can’t peacefully have the car you want to have especially if you move a lot,” said Milly.

Continue Reading


‘I told him if you want to commit suicide with drinking, take a rope…’ Othuol Othuol’s father speaks



The father of late comedian Othuol Othuol has moved Kenyans after speaking for the first time following his death.

Othuol’s story was featured on Churchill Show journey series, where his family, close friends and colleagues paid glowing tributes to him.

‘The last time he came home it was January this year. He called me and told me he wanted to come and built his house because everyone was asking him about it,’ his father said.


‘He came home and put up a house which is bigger than mine and promised to build me one once he was done’.

Othuol Othuol was known for his love for alcohol and his father and close friend actress Sandra Dacha confirmed this.

‘We had a lot of problems with his drinking style. An I’d urge young people to tread carefully. People have drunk until they are even 100 or 90 years and are still strong because were cautious but not careless. If you do is carelessly then you become careless with your life,’ he,’ explained.

The bereaved father continued,

‘His drinking was a concern to the family. Whenever he would come home, the whole home would be full…chang’aa (local brew) and other drinks. He arrives in the village in the morning but I’d see him in the night when he is going to sleep. Just from one chang’aa den to another and I could go round making noise nyinyi mnaharibu watoto wa watu but he was a grown-up so hakuna mtu anamuharibu.’

The sad father was fed up with his son’s drinking and tried to warn him but his warnings fell on deaf ears.

‘I called him one day and told him if you want to commit suicide with drinking please tell me and the style you want to take. If you want to commit suicide with drinking carelessly, don’t take time, better take a rope and do it. I’ll come to carry you home,” he recalled.


‘I thought he could go slow… during the time he was diagnosed with TB, I sent a brother to go and take care of him but he said “no this is my hoúse. If you talk about my drinking and the money is mine, then hatutaelewana”.’

The comedian was raised by his father and stepmother.

READ ALSO:   Woman held for allegedly stabbing boyfriend eight times to death


Continue Reading


Varshita actress Eve D’Souza says ‘I Do’ in all-white private affair



Popular Kenyan actress, Eve DSouza known for her mark on Auntie Boss and Varshita, has tied the knot in a stunning private white wedding.

The beauty got engaged to her Prince Charming Simon Anderson back in December 2019, in a beautiful surprise event while in Goa, India, by the beach side.

What they termed “the start of a beautiful journey” has now blossomed into a breathtaking milestone as the lovebirds officially said ‘I Do’ over the weekend.

Eve DSouza ties the knot

In an undisclosed location and an event graced only by close friends and family, an excited Eve, known never to take life seriously – going by her comical theatrics, sweetly captioned “Married 16.10.2020 ❤❤”.

Eve D’Souza ties the knot with long-time boyfriend

It has been all Congratulations to the newly weds. Fans unable to express their joy and envy as the beautiful 41-year old finally gets a chance at marriage.

The ravishing media personality clad in an open sparkling white wedding gown. With her dearly beloved opting for a crisp navy blue suit coupled with a wine-colored tie to complement his beauty.

Eve D’Souza ties the knot with long-time boyfriend

It was not until December 2018, that the gorgeous light-skin beauty introduced her man to the public for the first time. A dear Simon Anderson who had proven to be the final answer to her dear heart.

READ ALSO:   Woman held for allegedly stabbing boyfriend eight times to death

Have a look at more photos of the star-struck couple.

Eve D’Souza off the market

Actress Eve D´Souza and her Prince Charming

Film star Eve D’Souza and long-time boyfriend, Simon wed


Continue Reading


Like us on Facebook, stay informed


2020 Calendar



error: Content is protected !!