Connect with us

Lifestyle

How man survived in 60ft well for 13 days

Published

on

A mentally challenged man from Gatituni village in Chuka, Tharaka-Nithi County has shocked many after surviving in a 60-foot well for 13 days without food.

Mr Royford Mugambi, 42, was retrieved from the well Wednesday evening.

He disappeared on the morning of May 22, 2020 while with his elderly mother who lives with him.

Speaking to journalists at their home on Thursday morning, Mr Henry Gitonga, Mr Mugambi’s elder brother, said they had been searching for him since his disappearance, even going to the Chuka County Referral Hospital mortuary.

REPORTED DISAPPEARANCE

He said the family had reported his disappearance to the administration and at Chuka Police Station and were almost losing hope of tracing him when he was discovered in the well.

Mr Gitonga said a neighbour, Mr John Mwenda, was working in a farm near the well when he heard someone calling and thought it was his father who was also working some meters away. But when he responded, his father said he had not called him.

Mr Mwenda continued with his work and then he heard the voice again. This time, the person called him by his name and when he trailed the direction of the voice, he noticed that the person was calling from the well and the soft voice sounded familiar; it was that of Mugambi.

He went close to the well and when he called out, Mugambi responded and asked for some water.

LADDER AND ROPE

“After confirming that it was Mugambi who had disappeared for some days, Mwenda rushed and informed his father before proceeding to our home and broke the shocking news,” said Mr Gitonga.

He said they all ran to the well, which had been dug many years back by the owner of the farm who was looking for water, and confirmed that it was his brother.

He hurriedly looked for a ladder, tied it with a rope and dropped it to the well.

He said they asked him to hold firm to the ladder as they pulled him out.

VERY WEAK

Mr Gitonga said they struggled to remove him because he was very weak, making it difficult for him to hold onto the ladder. When he came out, he asked for water.

“His body was pale, completely emaciated and totally confused when he came out,” he said.

The family called a doctor from Chuka County Referral Hospital who advised them to give him a glucose solution and some milk for a few days before introducing him to porridge and later soft food.

The villagers said they suspected the man had been taking some water since when he came out his clothes were wet, suggesting that the well had some water.

They termed the incident as miracle, saying they would hold a thanksgiving ceremony later

By Nation.co.ke

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

It’s a whole new world for boy shot by police

Published

on

Ten-year-old Limo Poriot (pictured) sits under a shade and appears in deep thought. He stares at the crutches beside him and looks into the distance as if contemplating what the future holds.

For a month now Poriot has been forced to adopt a new way of life; the use of crutches after one of his legs was amputated just several inches below his knee after he was shot by the police on an operation at Naudo village in Tiaty.

He misses moments he would join his siblings and play with them. The best he can do is follow up the games, as friends and sibling playfully run around him.

Feel sad

“I wish I could join other children, run around with them and play all sorts of games. The noise I hear from them as they play just makes me feel sad. If only I had my leg back,” Poriot said.

The Standard One boy was shot in May while herding his parents’ goats. He reveals that he was with another child on that fateful day when a team of officers who were on operation drove past where they were grazing their animals. Out of fear they ran and hid in a nearby bush, little did he know one of the officers had aimed at him. He was shot twice, leaving him with injuries on both legs.

One of the officers he said ran to where he was and found him wriggling in pain. The two bullets would mark the beginning of his new life. The officer in jungle uniform, he said, rushed to where he was, stared at him, then knelt and said he was sorry before leaving him for dead.

“One of the officers came to where I was lying, and saw me cry in pain. He placed his rifle down, knelt and said sorry before leaving,” he said.

The officers he said never bothered to have him taken to a health facility. It is after the officers left that residents who had heard gunshots rushed to the scene.

Later the boy’s relatives were informed of what had befallen the minor. Poriot’s brother, Alex Krop said he rushed to the scene and found his injured brother. The boy was ferried to Nakuru Rift Valley Provincial General Hospital where doctors suggested that the leg be amputated.

“Doctors said there was nothing they could do other than have his leg amputated,” Krop said. Poriot stayed in hospital for close to two months and was discharged on Tuesday. The doctors, however, advised that the condition of the boy be monitored closely.

Krop said they regret sending Poriot to the bush to graze the animals. All they want is justice for the boy. The Government, he said should be held responsible for the loss.

“The boy was innocent, all we need is justice as a family. His life will never be the same again,” he said.

Hosea Lomada, Poriot’s father, said they have been left helpless and can barely cater for the boy’s daily medical bill to have the wound dressed.

Christina Lomada, the boy’s mother said the child is finding it hard to cope with the new way of life. Baringo County Commissioner Henry Wafula said they will review the matter and see how the boy will be assisted.

“Let him heal, we wish him quick recovery. Together with my county commander, we will review and see how the boy will be assisted,” Wafula said

By Standard.co.ke

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Online marriage services launched to tame Covid-19 spread

Published

on

Kenya has launched online marriage services in a bid to eliminate human traffic at Sheria House and curb the spread of the coronavirus outbreak.

State Law Office Chief Administrative Secretary Winnie Guchu said couples intending to get married will have to do the entire registration process on the eCitizen portal.

“There will be no more manual services at the registrar of marriage at Sheria House as all services will be available online.

“We do not want any couple coming for services at Sheria House unless it is of utmost importance,” she said.

Marriage services at the government office were initially been suspended in May after an influx of clients at the registrar of marriage brought a dilemma on enforcing Covid-19 measures while keeping services running.

Before the Covid-19 outbreak, Sheria House used to attend to about 400 clients during low season and 600 clients during the high season months of August and December. The closure in May resulted to the suspension of 2,551 marriages, officials said.

However, when marriage services briefly resumed in mid-May, 1,841 couples, whose marriages were suspended wanted to proceed with their civil wedding, a move that Ms Guchu said brought enormous challenges at the office of the registrar of marriage.

“When we resumed, only 700 couples were willing to postpone their weddings however we were left with a bulk of 1,841 couples. We are hoping that more people will postpone their weddings so we can manage the numbers,” she said.

Couples planning to do a civil wedding, will now be required to register their details on the eCitizen portal, pay for the marriage fee, book for a pre-wedding interview and later get an appointment for the wedding to be officiated by the registrar.

The schedule will have to be adhered to and if not the couples will have to book new dates.

“After completion of registration on the platform, couples will still be given 21-days’ notice for approval just as it was in the manual process. However, this process will be first rolled out in Nairobi, and thereafter in other counties after the platform takes root,” the CAS added.

BY NN

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Police ordered to remove roadblocks

Published

on

Traffic police officers in various major roads within the city have been directed to stop putting up roadblocks.

In a communication to regional bosses that was seen by Nairobi News, Deputy Inspector General of police Edward Mbugua said that the main reason behind the directive is because most of the roadblocks have been turned into toll stations.

“It is not rocket science to know the motive (behind the roadblocks). It’s simply to engage in corrupt practices for the commanders and the deployed (officers) benefit,” Mr Mbugua said.

Instead, Mr Mbugua said that officers should be patrolling highways and not being stationed in one place.

The placing of officers on specific roadblocks has been the norm for a while now with most of the officers extorting motorists.

According to Mr Mbugua, senior officers have been acting against orders of Inspector General of Police Hillary Mutyambai who said roadblocks should not be mounted on Kenyan roads.

Mr Mutyambai then said that the traffic officers should be working under the supervision of the OCS and not base commanders as was the case before.

By NN

Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!