Connect with us

Lifestyle

Man left in rain with wife’s body sues

Published

on

A grief-stricken man who was forced to spend a night in the rain outside a police station in Meru beside his wife’s body has sued the State for compensation.

Mr Charles Mwenda, who lost his wife to cancer, is accusing the Meru County Covid-19 surveillance team of mistreating mourners while enforcing the virus containment rules.

In a constitutional petition filed at the High Court in Meru through lawyer Vivian Wambulwa on Wednesday, Mr Mwenda says his rights and freedoms under the Bill of Rights were violated after he was forced to spend a night outside Kianjai Police Station with his wife’s body in a casket.

He wants the court to find that he was treated in an inhumane manner despite having complied with Covid-19 travel regulations.

wakili

Lawyer Vivian Wambulwa who is representing Mr Charles Mwenda, the man who has sued the State after he was forced to spend a night in the rain outside a police station in Meru beside his wife’s body last month. The matter will be mentioned on July 6, 2020 for directions. PHOTO | CHARLES WANYORO | NATION MEDIA GROUP

CLEARED TO TRAVEL

He details how he, together with 31 other mourners, had been cleared to travel from Malindi in Kilifi County to Meru County for the burial of his spouse, Faith Mwende who died on May 24, 2020.

READ ALSO:   Kenyans raise Sh570k for man who slept in police station with his wife’s body

However, on reaching Keeria market in Meru County, they were stopped and the 31 mourners, including his two children, ordered to return to Malindi, while being threatened to be subjected to forced quarantine at their own cost.

A battalion of armed police officers then ordered the traumatised widower to board a police vehicle together with the casket. The officers took him and the coffin to Kianjai Police Station where he was forced to spend the night.

PLEAS TO POLICE

He recounts how, during the night, he pleaded in vain with the police to be allowed to transport the casket to his home which is only five kilometres away.

And as the night grew, rains pounded the area, leaving him and the casket soaked.

“Police left me alone in the rain. I dragged the casket all alone and sheltered it under a lorry which was parked near Kianjai Police Post. Stagnant water entered the casket,’’ Mr Mwenda claims in his affidavit.

He says the police acted extra-judicially and in breach of fundamental rights while all the respondents, through their agents, violated his rights under Article 28 of the Constitution of Kenya which requires that he be treated with human dignity.

“The petitioner was an innocent victim being stigmatised against on reason of having come from a Covid-19 affected area and his only sin being his beloved wife died during this period,” his lawyer says.

READ ALSO:   Dr Amoth attends burial with 400 people to represent Kagwe – PHOTOS + VIDEO

TOTAL INDIGNITY

“The respondents and their agents treated the petitioner with total indignity by transporting the petitioner and his deceased wife and dumping him in the middle of the night by the roadside while it was raining without care as to his security and well-being and without any legal basis,” adds Ms Wambulwa.

Mr Mwenda, who has enjoined the Law Society of Kenya, the Independent Policing Oversight Authority and the Kenya National Commission of Human Rights is seeking general and punitive damages against the State.

Legal Aid Clinic, an NGO which promotes access to justice is also listed as an interested party in the suit.

Meru Resident Judge Alfred Mabeya Wednesday ordered the petitioner to serve the respondents and interested parties with suit papers.

The matter will be mentioned on July 6, 2020 for further directions

By Nation.co.ke

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Lifestyle

Police officer who collapsed while guarding Equity Bank succumbed to heart attack, not COVID-19 – Family

Published

on

The family of the police officer who collapsed and died on the spot has revealed the deceased succumbed to a heart attack and not COVID-19 as earlier speculated.

Corporal Harrison Nkuja Gideon breathed his last after collapsing in a toilet at Equity Bank Makutano branch on Tuesday, July 21.

 

Police officer who collapsed while guarding Equity Bank succumbed to heart attack, not COVID-19 - FamilyPolice officer collapsed and died while guarding Equity Bank Makutano branch in Meru town. Photo: Daily Nation.
Source: UGC

The officer was laid to rest on Monday, August 3, in his home in Athiru-Gaiti in Igembe South, Meru county.

As earlier reported by TUKO.co.ke, the officer was said to be unwell in the fateful morning and had vomited before passing on.

The bank hall was cordoned off by the county COVID-19 surveillance team who picked the body after two hours due to precautions related to the spread of the virus.

 

Police officer who collapsed while guarding Equity Bank succumbed to heart attack, not COVID-19 - FamilyThe police officer was laid to rest on Monday, August 3. Photo: Officers Operations.
Source: UGC

Meru Public health director John Inanga said they were called in to collect the body as a precautionary measure since the officer’s death could not be explained.

Cases of people collapsing and dying on the spot have been on the rise, with their cause of deaths remaining a mystery.

A little over a week ago, a man in Mwihoko Estate, Githurai collapsed and died on the spot outside a cereal shop.

The deceased is said to have struggled for a moment before breathing his last leaving the residents stunned.

READ ALSO:   Kenyans raise Sh570k for man who slept in police station with his wife’s body

Similarly, on Friday, July 17, a woman who was washing clothes at Mlolongo in Machakos county also collapsed and died on the spot.

On Monday, July 20, a middle-aged man fell down and died after alighting from a matatu.

The yet to be identified man had travelled from Buruburu to Dandora before he passed away.

By Tuko.co.ke

Continue Reading

Business

Inter-Continental Hotel considering permanent closure of its Nairobi unit

Published

on

The iconic Intercontinental Hotel in Nairobi is set to be closed permanently over “operational reasons.”

The facility’s proprietor, InterContinental Hotels Corporation Limited (IHCL), announced the closure through a notice to its employees.

The company said it is winding up its operations in Kenya, adding that the five-star hotel will shut its doors in the next 45 days and declare all workers redundant.

“We write to inform you that InterContinental Hotels Corporation Limited Kenya (IHCL) is for operational reasons, considering a permanent closure of InterContinental Nairobi and winding up its operations in the Republic of Kenya. As a consequence of such intended winding up, all employment positions would become redundant,” part of the notice reads.

The 389-bed capacity hotel has been in existence for the past 51 years and was almost auctioned in 2019 over unsettled debt amounting to nearly Sh1 billion.

InterContinental  is strategically located inside Nairobi Central Business District near Parliament Buildings, making it an ideal destination for business travelers. It boasts a poolside restaurant, a coffee shop and some bars.

The Privatization Commission earlier this year sought to sell the government’s stake in the hotel through the Tourism Finance Corporation (TFC) following previous unsuccessful offers. The State owns 33.8 percent of stake in the hotel’s mother company.

READ ALSO:   Kenyans raise Sh570k for man who slept in police station with his wife’s body
Continue Reading

Business

How hair scavenged from Nairobi dumpsite ends up in salon

Published

on

Stylist Julia Wanja picks her way delicately through piles of food waste, discarded masks, rubber gloves and other rubbish at Nairobi’s Dandora dumpsite, looking for used hair extensions she can clean and resell to customers.

The pandemic means fewer clients with less money and she is cutting down on costs by cleaning and reselling hair from the dumpsite. Officials direct trucks to dump their loads depending on where the waste has come from. Domestic and commercial waste – which includes bags of hair extensions discarded by other salons – goes to different sections.

Medical waste is usually incinerated. “I have fewer customers,” the mother of three told Reuters from her wooden stall near the Dandora dumpsite as vehicle horns blared in the background. “If you are not going to work, there is no need to style your hair.”

Wanja said she washes the used hair extensions carefully using detergent, Dettol and hot water. Most of her customers trust her to wash the hair well, she said, although a few like to clean it themselves as well. Like other scavengers, she wears a mask to sort through the trash.

“We cannot allow anyone to enter the dumpsite without a mask on,” fellow scavenger Denis Githaiga said, as he ripped through piles of plastic bags.

READ ALSO:   Dr Amoth attends burial with 400 people to represent Kagwe – PHOTOS + VIDEO

Wanja has been selling second-hand hair since 2008 but says there is more demand now since many people cannot afford new extensions. “New hair is more expensive than second-hand hair,” the 38-year-old said. “People don’t have money.”

Wanja’s customers say as long as the hair has been cleaned, they do not mind where it is from.

The hair looks new: long, luxuriant locks hang from the walls in Wanja’s stall or are perched on a battered styrofoam head.

“The hair bought new from a shop and bought used only differs in price. But once it is plaited, there is no difference,” said Cecilia Githigia as Wanja’s fingers worked a weave into her hair.

By Standard.co.ke

Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!