Connect with us


Matete family, friends to bury Nigerian husband in Lang’ata



Ms Ruth Matete and her husband MrJohn Apewajoye

Gospel artist Ruth Matete is set to bury her husband at a public cemetery Thursday in Nairobi. A family spokesman said remains of  Beloved John Olakami Apewajoye will be buried at the Lang’ata cemetery Thursday morning.

The body has been lying at Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) Mortuary since April 11 when he succumbed to fire related injuries while undergoing treatment at the hospital.Most of Apewajoye’s relatives and friends reside in Nigeria and will not be able to attend the burial because of the ongoing Covid-19 travel restrictions.

He succumbed to burn wounds resulting from a fire incident that occurred at the couple’s house at Gateway Estate in Athi River on March 30. Apewajoye succumbed to the burns on April 11. Officials said he suffered sepsis and multiple organs failure amongst them deteriorating renal and liver functions.

Ms Matete has been struggling to clear her late husband’s accumulated hospital bills amounting to over Sh600,000 which she partially raised through M-Changa, an online fundraising platform.

Ms Matete has been questioned by Directorate of Criminal Investigations over her husband’s mysterious death. The Nigerian Embassy in Nairobi had requested that the body be held until the ongoing probe into the deceased’s death is concluded, a move that Ms Matete objected to.

READ ALSO:   Controversial video ‘exposes’ Ruth Matete and late Beloved John’s rocky marriage, lawyer Cliff Ombeta responds

It took almost a month before the embassy allowed her to pick the body and by then the bill had hit Sh600,000.

Her lawyer Mr Robert Odanga said then she was happy with DCI’s proposal to have the mortuary fee waived but she was yet to receive a response to the fee waiver request from the hospital.

Mr Odanga added that the effect the case has had on his client’s career has caused her a huge financial burden on top of her mourning because she can no longer engage in her income generating activities. Ms Matete had demanded that the embassy clears the mortuary and burial expenses before she can accept the body for burial.

She insisted that the embassy issued insufficient reasons to warrant the holding of the body since the autopsy results had been released and she had the consent to bury him in the country.

Ms Matete has maintained that her husband burnt parts of his upper body on the fateful day at around 5pm after a failed attempt to properly light up their 6kg unused gas cylinder. Questions over the circumstances surrounding his death were however raised prompting a probe of the incident by the DCI.

An autopsy procedure confirmed that the body did not bear any visible marks of injury or signs of struggle. Additionally, his brain did not bear any signs of hypoxic injuries that result from strangulation, smoke inhalation, shock or poisoning from a drugs overdose.

READ ALSO:   Ruth Matete allowed to bury husband

“He died because of burns which were mixed degree burns estimated at 60 percent. In burns, what kills are the complications that arise. In this case there was sepsis, multiple organs failure and all that,” explained Chief government pathologist Dr Johansen Oduor.


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Funerals of Homa Bay nurse, UoN don set for today



The funeral ceremony of University of Nairobi lecturer Ken Ouko is expected to be conducted later today.

The don’s funeral was scheduled to take place Friday morning at his parents home in Homa Bay County.

His brother Dave Calo told the Nation that the funeral procession left Nairobi on Friday at dawn and is expected to reach his Nyandiwa Village of Homabay County by 11am.

They had been expected to leave Nairobi on Thursday night to arrive home by dawn.

“We have been forced to adjust our programme and this could extend late into the day,” he said.


David Kalo at the graveyard of his late brother Ken Ouko. Tonny Omondi | Nation Media Group

The body of renowned UoN don who succumbed to Covid-19 complications last Saturday will not be viewed to protect mourners.

“We have been advised by Homa Bay County Covid-19 emergency response team that the body should not leave the hearse when it arrives at the homestead,” he said.

Instead of being placed next to his parents’ house as is the norm with the Luo customs, the body will be taken directly to his grave site which was dug on Sunday.

Mr Ouko will be buried at the family graveyard next to his mother and brother who passed on earlier.

READ ALSO:   What killed Ruth Matete's husband John Apewajoye

The Homa Bay County Covid-19 emergency response team will take over from their Nairobi counterparts to ensure safety within the compound.

He died at 56-years-old, bringing to five the number of UoN lecturers who have died of Covid-19.

Nurse Marian

Meanwhile, Marian Awuor Adumbo, a medic who worked at the Rachuonyo Sub-county Hospital in Homa Bay, will also be buried today.

Nurse Marian succumbed to Covid-19 at the Kisii Teaching and Referral Hospital on Sunday evening, two weeks after giving birth to a healthy baby boy.

The nurse’s body was scheduled to leave Kisii Teaching and Referral Hospital mortuary at 8 am for an hour’s journey to her for the funeral ceremony expected to be over by 11 am.

Marian, 32, was a theatre nurse at Rachuonyo Sub-county hospital in Oyugis town, Homa Bay County but was transferred to KTRH after her condition worsened.

She had celebrated her birthday on July 24, the same day she gave birth to her first born child.

Just four days after, she tested positive for Covid-19. She died six days later, while in ICU.

Her family and colleagues have claimed her death was as a result of negligence, alleging that no one was willing to attend to her and that she was left unattended for some time.

READ ALSO:   Why Ruth Matete can't bury husband just yet

“Doctors and nurses at KTRH are on a go slow because they have not received their salaries. Our patient was left unattended from Friday last week with our newborn left to feed on air,” her husband Stephen Okal Oketch said as he narrated his devastation.

Consequently, Homa Bay Senator Moses Kajwang has asked Senate to investigate the circumstances surrounding her death.

The Senator has questioned why the nurse had to be transferred to Kisii when all county governments were asked to equip their hospitals with life support machines to help critically ill Covid-19 patients.


Continue Reading


MIRACLE: How Victoria Mugo, a Kenyan woman in US lost both her hands and legs [VIDEO]



A Kenyan woman from Aurora, Colorado, is a quadruple amputee. She lost her hands and her legs when pneumonia led to septic shock.

But Victoria Mugo , a mother of 1, is grateful to be alive.

Each year, more than 250,000 Americans die as a result of sepsis. The key is catching and treating it early.

Victoria is a celebrity of sorts at The Medical Center of Aurora (TMCA). The medical staff considers her a miracle.

For months, Victoria was in the ICU there. She lost both hands and both legs. Yet, on Monday, she came back to say “Thanks.”



“Because I’m grateful for life,” she told CBS4 Health Specialist Kathy Walsh.

“You don’t get any sicker than Victoria was,” explained Carolyn Golas, Sepsis Coordinator at TMCA.

On Jan. 9, Victoria was rushed to the ER with pneumonia. Within hours she was in septic shock, a toxic response to the infection.

Victoria Mugo

“She had about an 80% chance that she would not survive,” said Golas.

Victoria was put in a coma and on life support. Blood flow to her extremities slowed down. When the 38-year-old mother woke up, her hands and legs were dying.

“I could just snap them and not feel anything,” she said.

READ ALSO:   Matete quizzed over husband’s death

All four were amputated.

“I am not sitting in a corner feeling sorry for myself because I don’t have my arms or my legs, I’m walking now (on prosthetic legs),” Victoria said.

Victoria’s faith in God is her strength.

“He got me through it. He is the one who has brought me this far,” she said.

She said she has what matters most, her son, Alexander, and the rest of her loving family.

Her smile is a smile of gratitude. Her fighting spirit is fueled by faith.

HCA Healthcare patient Victoria Mugo, pictured with son Alexander, prior to her sepsis hospitalization

Facts about sepsis from TMCA:

  • Sepsis is one of the leading causes of death in the U.S. killing more than 250,000 patients per year.
  • In Colorado nearly 12,000 people will be diagnosed each year and nearly 3,000 will not survive.
  • Patients with septic shock have a mortality (death) rate of about 50-60%.
  • Once you have had severe sepsis you are at a greater risk of it reoccurring.
  • For more information you can go to the Sepsis Alliance at


Continue Reading


I kept in touch with my kids on Zoom while in isolation



Not even being locked down in her bedroom after she tested positive for Covid-19 would stop Dr Amakove Wala from interacting with her children. She shares with us her journey as well as breaking stigma

When Dr Amakove Wala, a health expert, began experiencing chills and fever, she attributed it to fatigue and stress she had been going through having lost a close friend and colleague Dr Adisa Lugaliki, to Covid-19. So, she slept, hoping to feel better, but when she woke up the following morning, nothing had changed.

“I remember being in a meeting and at around 11am, I couldn’t concentrate and had to leave. I took some painkillers, slept but never got better. It was only when I received a phone call from a friend whom I had come into contact with and had tested positive for Covid-19 that I knew things were serious and I had to get tested,” narrates Dr Wala.

Two days later on July 22 this year, Dr Wala tested positive for Covid-19. She opted for home-based care because she had mild symptoms. However, one thing that she was worried about was the well-being of her four children; her son aged 12, and her triplets who are 10 years. She was also worried about the impact that this news would have to those around her.

“When I broke the news to my children, they were scared that I was going to die. I reassured them that I had mild symptoms and emphasised the need for isolation,” she narrates.

Dr Amakove Wala’s four children looked forward to interacting with her via Zoom.

The first day of isolation was tough on her since on a normal day, every night before her children go to sleep, they would hang out in her bed, discussing the day’s events. Now with her having Covid-19 and being locked-up in her bedroom, Dr Wala had to take their pre bedtime ritual to Zoom. Being a close-knit family that love close contact, this has been one of the toughest moments for her.

READ ALSO:   Matete quizzed over husband’s death

“The time I catch-up with my children is one of my special moments. I assure them of their safety and mine, and every day we talk about their feelings. I update them on my progress and emphasise on the small wins,” she adds.

Another bonding activity that she misses is cycling and watching movies with them.

Dr Amakove Wala.

However, since her children are older and independent, Dr Wala doesn’t worry much about them taking care of themselves. In addition, she has an able nanny who attends to her and stills run the house.

First, her meals are served at the door and her house manager knocks to alert her. Once Dr Wala is done, her house manager, picks the utensils, while wearing protective clothes and washes them separately. Her meals comprise of a lot of fruits and home-made concoctions that have ginger, lemon and honey. She also supplements on Zinc and Vitamin C and takes antibiotics and when in pain, painkillers.

Her laundry too is done separately. Luckily, the mother of four has a washing machine, which makes work easier for her house manager as she uses gloves to throw them in the machine.

Supportive family, friends

“You become a pariah to society. You can’t even interact closely with your own family members. Your personal items are treated with the highest level of sanitation. Everything is disinfected. Man, this is tough and I think not practical for many families that are not able to afford this level of isolation,” she narrates.

READ ALSO:   Controversial video ‘exposes’ Ruth Matete and late Beloved John’s rocky marriage, lawyer Cliff Ombeta responds

Despite the loneliness, Dr Wala is thankful for having supportive family and friends who send her a lot of tips on how to beat the loneliness, what to eat and drink, how to keep fit and also check on her children as she isolates.

In addition, she also has a smaller circle of friends who are also on a home-based- care regime and they exchange notes every now and then on what to do. But one thing that she has had to minimise is her social media use.

Coming out

“I was getting burn-out. There is an information overload if one doesn’t watch out. Many people intend well, but I got bogged down by the many forwards on recipes and prayer chains. I like a certain group I am in, which they appointed one person to be checking on me twice a day and report back to the group. That really assisted me to answer the many questions from concerned friends and family. I also have a close friend who insisted on being there throughout,” she says.

But one thing Dr Wala says is she has been able to get her much-needed rest. Her days have been spent eating, drinking, sleeping, basking in the sun, reading, doing exercises such as yoga and watching movies.

On why she opted to share her daily experiences on her Facebook Page, Dr Wala says: “I was more worried about the impact to those around me rather than myself. I am used to blogging about my life, especially topics that society is reluctant to discuss such as relationships, sex and parenting among others. As a public health practitioner, I know the angle that the response we have had has taken a punitive approach to the virus. It is almost a crime to get Covid-19. What many ask is, what did you do wrong to get this virus? This has made many of us shy away from declaring our positive status. I felt I needed to speak up and demystify the disease. The benefits far outweighed the cons,” she says.

READ ALSO:   Detectives seek call data in Walibora death probe

Dr Wala came out of isolation on Monday this week on her 12th day. “I am glad to see that the guidelines are being shortened to reduce the isolation period to when symptoms disappear and not necessarily when the test turns negative. Covid-19 is real and common now. Luckily many of us will get the mild symptoms. It is important to continue practicing the guidelines laid down for us to flatten the curve. Above all, let us break the stigma1 Stop criminalising the disease,” she says in conclusion.

When I broke the news to my children, they were scared that I was going to die. I reassured them that I had mild symptoms


• Dr Amakove Wala tested positive for Covid-19 on July 22.

• She opted for home-based care and went into isolation for 12 days when her symptoms dissapeared.

• She is thankful to her caregiver who nursed her, endured stigma and further took care of her children.


Continue Reading

Powered by

Current Time in Alexandria
Fri, August 7


Like us on Facebook, stay informed


2020 Calendar



error: Content is protected !!