Connect with us

Lifestyle

Steve Mbogo’s sister charged with Sh18.5m fraud

Published

on

Flamboyant city politician Steve Mbogo’s sister Jennifer Mukonyo Mbogo has been arraigned before the Milimani law courts alongside her husband, charged with Sh18.5 million fraud in a fake avocado export deal.

She was charged alongside her husband Nathan Loyd Ndung’u with conspiracy to defraud, obtaining money by false pretences from a firm between March 1 and April 1 this year.

The two were jointly accused of conspiring to defraud Ezetel Kenya Limited of the money falsely pretending that as directors of Avo-veg Health Kenya Limited, they were in were in a position to partner with the firm to finance the avocado export business.

They are charged with obtaining money by false pretences and are facing a total of 13 counts of issuing bad cheques.

They are accused of issuing the 13 bouncing cheques of Sh990,000 on March 28.

The court heard that the two drew the cheques for SBM bank in favour of Ezetel Kenya limited when they had previously instructed the bank not to honour the said cheques, with intent to defraud.

The duo denied the charges before senior principal magistrate Bernard Ochoi. They argued that the matter was civil disagreement and should, therefore, not have been turned into a criminal case.

They claimed through their lawyer Mercy Kinyua that they had paid Sh1.6 million to the complainant and a post-dated cheque of Sh5 million had been drawn for August 31 in favour of the complainant as they sought lenient bail and bond terms.

They said they did not intend to defraud the firm, have a registered place of business and are therefore not a flight risk.

But the firm’s lawyer disputed any payments had been made.

The firm said that the court should consider the fact that the two have proven to be evasive as it was a tall order for the investigators to trace them.

Ochoi said the two will remain in police custody until Monday when he will rule on their bail and bonds application.

The suspects will be interviewed by the probation department for a social inquiry report before the bail ruling.

Source:Nairobi News

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Lifestyle

Uhuru’s adopted son Daniel Owira says he nearly left school after becoming rich

Published

on

Daniel Owira aka Otonglo time, saw his life change in the blink of an eye back when he was in high school.

After delivering a grand performance during drama festivals, he was quickly branded as the president’s son by none other than Uhuru Kenyatta.

Several years later, the young actor told NTV he nearly dropped out of school after becoming rich.

A year after Uhuru had offered to pay for his school fees, Owira joined university and as days went by, his pockets and bank account became heavier.

He was earning cash he had never touched before and did not know what to do with all the wealth he was accumulating.

“I will not lie to you, at first year no one really knows what to do with a lot of money. I was getting sponsorships and gigs and did not know what to do with all the cash,” he said.

Even after boosting his mother’s business, providing her with pocket money and furnishing her house, Owira still had escess money he did not know how to put to use.

For a moment, the entertainer considered giving up on education and focussing on his successful career.

Luckily, Uhuru’s “son” chose to finish his academic journey and put to bed any irrational thoughts that crossed his mind.

Uhuru's adopted son Daniel Owira says he nearly left school after becoming rich

Daniel Owira back when he was in campus. Photo: Daniel Owira
Source: Instagram

As previously reported, Uhuru had promised to take care of Owira’s education up to university level.

While committing to take care of his school fees, Uhuru Kenyatta referred to Owira as one of his sons, of course figuratively.

Daniel Owira had plans to pursue a broadcast journalism in future, apparently to utilise his amazing oratory skills as evidenced by his Otonglo narrative.

By Tuko.co.ke

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

I was violently mugged at a well-lit street in Nairobi

Published

on

On Friday night, I lost my precious wristwatch and my utterly worthless cellphone to muggers at a well-lit street in the Nairobi city centre.

I was heading home from work at about 8.30 pm when a gang of five hoodlums pounced on me along Aru Lane, which is a stone’s throw away from Mfangano Street where I usually board my matatu.

They swiftly cut me off my route, boxed me into a tight corner and relieved me of whatever valuables I had on me.

The guy who initially accosted me – he must have been the ringleader – had threatened to draw a gun and shoot me if I tried anything stupid.

He had both hands in his pockets, so I couldn’t tell whether he had a gun or not, but I didn’t want to take any chances.

As this guy, who was in a greyish hoodie, and his accomplice flanked me on both sides, I took a quick backwards glance and noticed two heavyset fellows closing in. By the time I shifted my gaze forward, yet another menacing figure had sprung from nowhere.

I quickly realised I was cornered and outnumbered.

In that moment, I knew it was no use trying to fight these guys off. Not even the hard-tackling tight-head prop from my rugby-playing days would save me.

I wasn’t ready to become part of the city’s grim crime statistics of those who have been maimed, or had worse things done to them by muggers.

I meekly surrendered to their demands.

The whole incident barely lasted a minute, but in the brief moment I was held hostage in that corner, my mind raced to my wife and two young kids waiting for me at home.

Mercifully, I got through the ordeal unscathed and later got home to a warm hug from my three-year-old son.

I recounted my harrowing experience to my shell-shocked household. It wasn’t until hours later that we partook our evening meal.

Dangerous streets

I’ve since fully recovered from that experience, having had some good rest over the weekend.

When I shared my story with a close relative, he also recounted a similar mugging incident that happened on a Sunday evening at the junction of Mama Ngina Street and Kimathi Street.

Unlike me, this brother attempted to be a hero and nearly paid for it with his life.

In the middle of an ill-advised scuffle with his assailants, one of the muggers drew a knife and swung it at his abdomen. He quickly ducked, and the knife only grazed his thigh.

On seeing that their would-be victim wasn’t going down without a fight, the three thugs quickly vanished into an adjacent alley.

In retrospect, he says, he would not have tried to fight back.

That is what the streets of Nairobi have become; crowded places, bustling with human and car traffic by day but which become extremely dangerous at nightfall.

ATM machines that dot the exterior parts of many banking halls in the CDB are particularly risky places to visit in the evenings, especially when streets are deserted.

So too are alleys and backstreets, including Ngamia Lane and Tausi Lane, on either side of Nation Centre.

My priceless wristwatch is gone, but I thank God I lived to tell the tale – and write a story – of my encounter with Nairobi’s ruthless muggers.

The writer is an online Sub-editor at Nation Media Group 

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Man beats up Bungoma musician for supporting DP Ruto

Published

on

Police in Webuye have launched a manhunt for a handshake supporter who reportedly assaulted a musician for backing Deputy President William Ruto.

Bungoma East police boss Valarian Obore said police are looking for Mr Bernard Wakamala, alias Jaramogi, for clobbering Mr David Sakari, who usually performs in Webuye Juakali band troupe led by Kimilili MCA David Barasa.

The short statured performer is remembered for having been awarded a customised vehicle for the disabled by Dr Ruto in 2016.

Mr Obore said Mr Sakari was assaulted at Satellite Hotel in Webuye town on Friday night after praising the DP.

“He took a beer bottle and hit me on the head twice. I bled profusely before friends took me to Webuye Sub County Hospital, where I was treated and discharged,” said Mr Sakari.

Bungoma Musicians Association Chairman Kasembeli Watila condemned the incident and called on the police to speed up investigations and arrest the suspect.

by nation.africa

Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!