Connect with us

News

What next for ‘Papa Shirandula’ TV show after actor’s death? 

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

Citizen TV’s head of production Stanley Ngige has opened up on the future of Papa Shirandula show following the death of its main star Charles Bukeko.

Ngige said on Wednesday, July 22 that the program would have to take a different direction since Bukeko, who was popularly known as Papa Shirandula, had created many stars.

He, however, noted that the station had not definitively decided on which character from the show would take over as its lead.

“The show has to evolve with the times. It is all about creativity and production. Papa has a history of creating big names such as Njoro, Wilbroda and many others,” he said.

He further disclosed that the team had taken time to mourn the sudden death of the TV star who was hailed for playing a huge role in changing the country’s acting industry.

“The show has big options, we are not short of characters and the stars will have to sit down with the producer to determine the direction.

“We dont want the new stars to deliver less than what Papa did, he created a lot of big names,” he explained.

Ngige also refuted claims that the curtains had closed down on the show four months ago noting that it had ceased production to protect the stars from contracting the COVID-19 virus.

READ ALSO:   This is the other side of Papa Shirandula’s Naliaka you never knew

The only show from the roster that never shut down its production was Inspekta Mwala which he explained that had changed its script to address the struggles of the Covid-19 pandemic.

“The position was that with COVID we went slow on production to avoid putting our actors in danger. It is not that it was stopped we went on a slow production. The only way to sustain the show was to go to classics.

“Inspekta Mwala is because of law enforcement and to start awareness about Covid-19. If People are going to be arrested for not wearing a face mask, Inspekta Mwala was the best show to depict that,” he explained.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Amina Abdi quietly quits troubled Capital FM

Published

on

Capital FM presenter Amina Abdi Rabar has called it quits at the station which had recently been hit by a massive exodus of presenters.

Amina’s exit was not announced neither did she tell her listeners that she was leaving the station she had worked for for almost a decade.

In the last few weeks, Fareed Khimani who returned to Capital FM last year, has been hosting the morning show alone and disclosed tha there will be a new co-host who will be joining him soon.

“Amina Abdi will not be returning and I will be joined soon by a new co-host. She has gone to do big and better things,” he said.

Amina, who is a vivid social media user, did not tell her followers that she was leaving her morning show leaving many to speculate on what exactly transpired between her and station owned by city billionaire Chris Kirubi.

Her social media pages showed that she had deleted almost everything to do with the media house only leaving the material she promotes and the show she hosts on NTV, The Trend.

Her departure from Capital fm comes just a month after another long time presenter Miano Muchiri left, and unlike the quiet departure by Amina, he said he was leaving his mid-morning show which he had hosted for more than a decade.

READ ALSO:   Did you know this about Charles Bukeko aka Papa Shirandula who has died at 58?

“The time has come to say goodbye to radio I would love it if you tuned in tomorrow one last time from 10:00-14:00,” he told his listeners then.

In mid-2019, the media house lost a host of its top talents, including radio host Anita Nderu who resigned saying she felt she had given her best and wanted new challenges.

Others who left the station are Web Editor and lifestyle writer/photographer Susan Wong, who resigned in January 2019 to return to her Canadian home and popular presenter Laura Walubengo, who quit in July 2018.

Others who also left were veteran presenters like Maqbul Mohammed, Cess Mutungi and My Two Cents co-hosts Sharon Mundia.

by NN

Continue Reading

News

Kiraitu Murungi wants Infotrack investigated over extortion

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

After coming in as among the worst performing governors, Meru Governor, Kiraitu Murungi, has demanded investigations into Infotrak.

The Meru Governor rubbished the study, claiming that the study was fabricated.

He demanded that the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission investigated the firm over extortion.

Murungi said that they had asked him to pay Ksh 3 million for a more favourable score.

“Let them look at Infotrak. I am ready to go there and give evidence that they were asking for Ksh 3 million so that they can give us a better number,” he said.

In the poll, released on Wednesday, October 28th, Murungi ranked 38th out of the 47 county governors.

He got a score of 46.7 per cent.

He was in the company of Homa Bay governor, Cyrpian Awiti, a perennial underachiever.

There were also Nyamira Governor, John Nyagarama and Patrick Khaemba, of Trans Nzoia.

Also in the bottom were Dhadho Godhana, of Tana River, Granton Samboja of Taita Taveta, Mohamad Mahamud of Wajir and Mohamed Kuti of Isiolo.

Former Kiambu Governor, Ferdinand Waititu ranked dead last in the poll, with Moses Lenolkulal of Samburu ranking 46th.

Infotrak took the study from 2019 over to 2020.

Hence, the reason why Waititu, who is now impeached, is in the poll.

READ ALSO:   We lost four pregnancies before our first child arrived, Papa’s widow narrates

Oparanya ranked as the best performing governor, taking to spot with 82.3 per cent, while Makueni Governor, Kivutha Kibwana, came in third.

Kibwana, who faces widespread admiration for how he runs Makueni County, scored 74.4 per cent.

In second place was Salim Vurya from Kwale with 77.1 per cent.

Fourth place had Anyang’ Nyong’o, who scored 65.9 per cent.

The polling did set off another discussion among the political elite.

As with the MP ranking, done by the same company, some governor, just like Murungi, claimed extortion from Infotrak.

Infotrak has repeatedly denied extorting from politicians.

Continue Reading

News

Tanzania: Tundu Lissu denounced Presidential results

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

Tanzania’s Opposition leader, Tundu Lissu, has said that he will not accept the Presidential results, citing rigging.

Tanzania went into elections on October 28th, in one of the most hotly contested elections in the country.

However, the elections were marred by claims of violence, voter suppression and outright rigging.

Speaking at a presser on Thursday, Lissu said that he would not accept defeat due to the irregularities in the elections.

Lissu is the strongest of the other 14 candidates that ran against Magufuli.

“As far as we are concerned there is no election that has taken place. We shall not accept the results and so far we have asked Tanzanians to gather in large numbers for mass action and reject the results,” Lissu said.

Lissu was contesting on the Chadema party against Magufuli’s Chama Cha Mapinduzi.

CCM has been the ruling party in Tanzania since the country’s independence in 1961.

Lissu, though, says that the results do not reflect the will of the Tanzanians that showed up to vote.

Preliminary results show that Magufuli is well ahead of the other 14 Presidential candidates.

“We do not recognise what happened yesterday…because it was marred by irregularities. The results that have been announced since yesterday and which the Electoral Commission continues to announce today are, therefore, illegitimate. They do not reflect the true will of the millions of Tanzanian people who turned up at polling stations.” Lissu said.

READ ALSO:   Wilbroda: We are still in good terms with Papa Shirandula even though he fired me

Magufuli has come under fire for dictatorship tendencies, and that has been evident in the build up to this elections.

Yesterday, during the voting process, the government shut down the internet in Tanzania.

Furthermore, Lissu had his campaigns suspended over claims of violence.

Magufuli has also shut down several TV and radio stations which are critical of his regime or say something that contradicts the government’s position.

Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending