Connect with us


Recent killing in posh suburb turns focus to gun ownership



Investigations into the killing of 28-year-old businessman in Kilimani at the weekend have shifted to the Firearm Licensing Board after reports emerged of the killer weapon’s bloody past.

This as the latest incident reignites the puzzle of posh Nairobi residence where luxurious lifestyle and crime appear to reside side by side. Kilimani DCI chief Fatuma Hadi has now written to the Charles Mukindia-led Firearms Licensing Board (FLB) seeking details of the firearm believed to have been used to shoot Kevin Omwenga.

This in the backdrop of allegations that the area police had earlier recommended the board to withdraw the said firearm after its licensed owner was reportedly involved in a gun drama at the B Club. He was later charged with assault and causing bodily harm.

Gun misuse Should the details by the firearms board confirm that it is the same weapon that the police confiscated from the businessman, focus will shift to how the board returned the same weapon to its owner despite numerous cases of alleged misuse of the weapon.

Two men, including businessman Chris Obure, have been arrested in connection with the shooting. Yesterday, the police said they would be seeking more time from the court to conclude investigations after they recovered a Mini Ceska firearm with 13 bullets from one of the suspects.The businessman was pronounced dead at a Nairobi hospital where he was rushed for treatment for gunshot wound on his chest.

A police report from Kilimani Police Station to police headquarters, Vigilance House, stated that the ceska pistol Serial number B156623 was recovered from a safe box at an apartment still in Kilimani. The report stated that the office in which the weapon was found is owned by Obure. By yesterday, the police had recorded statements from Wycliff Omwenga, a brother of the deceased, who reported the shooting to the police, and Robert Bodo Ouko, the prime suspect.

Others expected to record statements is a man and a woman who were caught on CCTV cameras of the flat where the businessman lived and died. Sources told The Standard that in his statement, Ouko claimed the incident was accidental. He said the bullet discharged as Omwenga was handing over the weapon to him.

He told the police that Omwenga was carrying the weapon as they got into the house and they had gone to the bedroom for him to hand over the weapon when the incident happened.

Ouko recorded his first statement at the Kilimani Police Station on Saturday, hours after the shooting incident at Galana Suites along Galana Road. He said he, Omwenga, his brother and a female friend had been at an office near the residence and decided to go to the house for supper.All along, according to him, Omwenga even though he is not licensed to carry the weapon was having it in his waist for a show-off.

When he decided to leave, according to Ouko, they decided to go to the bedroom for him to hand it back. Ouko acts as a bodyguard to Obure who is their partner in business. Police took him to the house on Saturday afternoon where he also demonstrated what and how it happened. Obure, on his part, told police he didn’t know what happened. Reports suggest Omwenga was slated to travel to Dubai on Sunday for another business deal.

The latest killing is one in many an incidents which have seen the once prestigious neighbourhood for the high and mighty lose its glory and gain notoriety as theater for bloody confrontations.

It is in the same estate that Embakasi East MP Paul Ongili aka Babu Owino was involved in a bloody altercation with DJ Felix Orinda aka DJ Evolve on January 17. Later, Owino was charged in court over the incident but was released on a cash bail of Sh10 million.

Other unsolved incidents of the area include the killing of Careen Kipchumba, a former Kenya Power staff who was found dead in her flat in the area, the killing of Southern Sudan based business woman Monicah Kimani, and the recent murder of a 33-year-old Sheila Murage while attending a house party in the same area. On March 11, this year, still in Kilimani, Dafton Mwitiki, a sharpshooter who shot his way to nationwide fame when he appeared at the Dusit D2 terror attack, was reported missing at the Kilimani Police Station.


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Uhuru’s adopted son Daniel Owira says he nearly left school after becoming rich



Daniel Owira aka Otonglo time, saw his life change in the blink of an eye back when he was in high school.

After delivering a grand performance during drama festivals, he was quickly branded as the president’s son by none other than Uhuru Kenyatta.

Several years later, the young actor told NTV he nearly dropped out of school after becoming rich.

A year after Uhuru had offered to pay for his school fees, Owira joined university and as days went by, his pockets and bank account became heavier.

He was earning cash he had never touched before and did not know what to do with all the wealth he was accumulating.

“I will not lie to you, at first year no one really knows what to do with a lot of money. I was getting sponsorships and gigs and did not know what to do with all the cash,” he said.

Even after boosting his mother’s business, providing her with pocket money and furnishing her house, Owira still had escess money he did not know how to put to use.

For a moment, the entertainer considered giving up on education and focussing on his successful career.

Luckily, Uhuru’s “son” chose to finish his academic journey and put to bed any irrational thoughts that crossed his mind.

Uhuru's adopted son Daniel Owira says he nearly left school after becoming rich

Daniel Owira back when he was in campus. Photo: Daniel Owira
Source: Instagram

As previously reported, Uhuru had promised to take care of Owira’s education up to university level.

While committing to take care of his school fees, Uhuru Kenyatta referred to Owira as one of his sons, of course figuratively.

Daniel Owira had plans to pursue a broadcast journalism in future, apparently to utilise his amazing oratory skills as evidenced by his Otonglo narrative.


Continue Reading


I was violently mugged at a well-lit street in Nairobi



On Friday night, I lost my precious wristwatch and my utterly worthless cellphone to muggers at a well-lit street in the Nairobi city centre.

I was heading home from work at about 8.30 pm when a gang of five hoodlums pounced on me along Aru Lane, which is a stone’s throw away from Mfangano Street where I usually board my matatu.

They swiftly cut me off my route, boxed me into a tight corner and relieved me of whatever valuables I had on me.

The guy who initially accosted me – he must have been the ringleader – had threatened to draw a gun and shoot me if I tried anything stupid.

He had both hands in his pockets, so I couldn’t tell whether he had a gun or not, but I didn’t want to take any chances.

As this guy, who was in a greyish hoodie, and his accomplice flanked me on both sides, I took a quick backwards glance and noticed two heavyset fellows closing in. By the time I shifted my gaze forward, yet another menacing figure had sprung from nowhere.

I quickly realised I was cornered and outnumbered.

In that moment, I knew it was no use trying to fight these guys off. Not even the hard-tackling tight-head prop from my rugby-playing days would save me.

I wasn’t ready to become part of the city’s grim crime statistics of those who have been maimed, or had worse things done to them by muggers.

I meekly surrendered to their demands.

The whole incident barely lasted a minute, but in the brief moment I was held hostage in that corner, my mind raced to my wife and two young kids waiting for me at home.

Mercifully, I got through the ordeal unscathed and later got home to a warm hug from my three-year-old son.

I recounted my harrowing experience to my shell-shocked household. It wasn’t until hours later that we partook our evening meal.

Dangerous streets

I’ve since fully recovered from that experience, having had some good rest over the weekend.

When I shared my story with a close relative, he also recounted a similar mugging incident that happened on a Sunday evening at the junction of Mama Ngina Street and Kimathi Street.

Unlike me, this brother attempted to be a hero and nearly paid for it with his life.

In the middle of an ill-advised scuffle with his assailants, one of the muggers drew a knife and swung it at his abdomen. He quickly ducked, and the knife only grazed his thigh.

On seeing that their would-be victim wasn’t going down without a fight, the three thugs quickly vanished into an adjacent alley.

In retrospect, he says, he would not have tried to fight back.

That is what the streets of Nairobi have become; crowded places, bustling with human and car traffic by day but which become extremely dangerous at nightfall.

ATM machines that dot the exterior parts of many banking halls in the CDB are particularly risky places to visit in the evenings, especially when streets are deserted.

So too are alleys and backstreets, including Ngamia Lane and Tausi Lane, on either side of Nation Centre.

My priceless wristwatch is gone, but I thank God I lived to tell the tale – and write a story – of my encounter with Nairobi’s ruthless muggers.

The writer is an online Sub-editor at Nation Media Group 

Continue Reading


Man beats up Bungoma musician for supporting DP Ruto



Police in Webuye have launched a manhunt for a handshake supporter who reportedly assaulted a musician for backing Deputy President William Ruto.

Bungoma East police boss Valarian Obore said police are looking for Mr Bernard Wakamala, alias Jaramogi, for clobbering Mr David Sakari, who usually performs in Webuye Juakali band troupe led by Kimilili MCA David Barasa.

The short statured performer is remembered for having been awarded a customised vehicle for the disabled by Dr Ruto in 2016.

Mr Obore said Mr Sakari was assaulted at Satellite Hotel in Webuye town on Friday night after praising the DP.

“He took a beer bottle and hit me on the head twice. I bled profusely before friends took me to Webuye Sub County Hospital, where I was treated and discharged,” said Mr Sakari.

Bungoma Musicians Association Chairman Kasembeli Watila condemned the incident and called on the police to speed up investigations and arrest the suspect.


Continue Reading


error: Content is protected !!