Connect with us


Woman-led sextet robbers strike again



Elizabeth Akinyi Abuto, a suspected leader of a gang of six people with several robbery cases pending before courts, has been implicated in yet another theft of Sh5.1 million in Eldoret. Detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) launched investigations after thieves broke into a room at Hayat Hotel in Eldoret and stole Sh1.1 million and Sh4.4 million ($41,000) on July 31.

On Saturday, Eldoret DCI boss Daniel Nchoro and his officers arrested Akinyi, one of the suspects who was captured on CCTV camera at the hotel, in Kisumu.

A vehicle, Toyota Ractis believed to have been bought using stolen cash was also recovered. Following the arrest, it was further established that Akinyi, commonly referred to as ‘Liz’ and her boyfriend, were the masterminds of the theft. “Akinyi and the boyfriend booked a room next to the victim’s room so that they could monitor his movements,” police said.

Akinyi’s boyfriend had for three days, monitored how cash was collected from the rooms and the petrol stations owned by the complainant, Farhan Gedi. The money had accumulated since it was a holiday and could therefore not be banked. “They had planned to strike because they knew the owner had a lot of money. This included cash collected on Wednesday, which could not be banked the following day due to the Eid al-Adha festival plus the Thursday and Friday sales,” a detective said.

Farhan Gedi, 35, had reported that he checked into his Hayat Hotel room in the morning and later left for town. He had left Sh1.1 million and $41,000 in the room. However, when he came back, he found the room having been broken into and the money stolen. Stolen cash Detectives from the Uasin Gishu DCI launched investigations and reviewed the hotel’s CCTV.

“After reviewing the CCTV footage it was established that two suspects who had booked the next room were captured coming out of their room and entering Gedi’s room,” the DCI said.

On Friday, detectives tracked down one of the suspects, Paul Otieno Owuor in Kisumu. “Four other suspects are yet to be arrested. The detectives also managed to recover the vehicle believed to have been bought by Owuor using part of the stolen cash,” police said. After stealing, Otieno went to Mombasa with Akinyi to buy a vehicle. He escaped a police dragnet in Mombasa, but she was arrested.

Otieno stays in Ongata Rongai but prefers staying in lodges. On May 17 last year, Akinyi and five others were arrested after a violent robbery in Kitengela.

“A Toyota Prado and Nissan Navara, master keys, fake number plates, masking tapes and a safe were also recovered during the arrest,” the DCI said. The suspects arrested together with Akinyi were Stephen Ngiru Kuria, Wilson Mutua Kitheka, Vincent Odhiambo, Lavender Akinyi Ogilo and Quinter Adhiambo Ong’ino.

They have several cases of robbery with violence, burglary and stealing, pending before different courts, especially in Nairobi and Kajiado. Several warrants of arrests have been issued against the gang members for failing to comply with bail and bond terms and even absconding court.

When the six were arrested last year, both Akinyi and Lavender had warrants ofarrests for absconding court and jumping bail, respectively. A month earlier, Akinyi was arrested as she attempted to escape on foot from detectives.

The three suspects including Akinyi had abandoned the car they were travelling in around Nyayo Stadium. Detectives searched the vehicle and recovered eight master keys, 180 assorted door keys, masking tapes, a crowbar, a screw driver and assorted fake number plates. The masking tapes, police say, are used to change the vehicle number plates to avoid detection by police or their victims.

Proceeds of crime Last year, they were arraigned in Kajiado over robbery-related charges. They were denied bond on grounds that they were habitual offenders. Sergeant Simon Kifani of DCI Kitengela, the investigating officer, told the court the suspects had been linked to a series of cases of house breaking and stealing and robberies within Kitengela and Kilimani.

He added that they had been captured on CCTV at scenes of crime. He also stated that they were in some instances armed and were sometimes operating in the company of foreigners.

They, however, moved to the High Court and were released on Sh200,000 bond each with one surety of a similar amount on October 25 last year after Justice Chacha Mwita ruled that the reasons given for denying them bond did not meet the constitutional threshold.

In March 2016, Akinyi was arrested together with Emmah Wambui Wanjiru and Wilson Marwa Giyabe after they were linked to at least 22 burglary incidents. Giyabe was said to be helping the gang find a market for the stolen goods in Tanzania. During the arrest, police recovered several master keys and equipment used to commit burglary .

Two days before they were arrested, their gang had broken into about 20 homes within Kilimani and Kileleshwa area. In one of the houses, the victims reported to have lost jewellery worth Sh2 million and foreign currency amounting to Sh3 million. Others reportedly lost iPads, electronics, watches, jewelry, bags and cash among other valuables.

“Akinyi is currently building an apartment in Kisumu and it is suspected that the funds are from proceeds of crime,” a senior detective told People Daily.

BY People Daily

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


PHOTOS: Akothee’s brother breaks down during his late wife’s final send off



Akothee and her family are currently in mourning after losing their sister in law; who was married to Akothee’s younger brother, Allan Ignatius.

Judging from the posts shared by Akothee, the mother of 5 avoided mentioning what occurred to her late sister in law; however she went on to celebrate her for being more than a friend but a sister.

Although we may not know what Allan is going through; Akothee went on to share some special message comforting him after losing the love of his life. Akothee went on to write;

Also read:

Asemwomo piny ,kiny an Kodi boda busia kanyo , I would not know what to do with you and the kids , I am here in bed in kisumu with your mom and your entire family ,ready to meet and receive you bro 🙏Be strong for us 💪@allanignatiuskokeyo AWUORO THOOOOOOO 🙏

Send off

Anyway, after keeping the funeral as private as possible; singer Akothee has gone ahead to share a few photos from the funeral on her page. Of course Allan who is currently struggling to get into terms with the fact that his wife is no more.

Judging from the photos, he indeed had nothing but sorrow written all over his face; but all in all his support system continues to hold his hand through this hard time. We from the Ghafla team send our heartfelt condolesence to the family during this hard time.

Akothees sister in law laid to rest

Allans wife laid to rest


Continue Reading


Uhuru’s adopted son Daniel Owira says he nearly left school after becoming rich



Daniel Owira aka Otonglo time, saw his life change in the blink of an eye back when he was in high school.

After delivering a grand performance during drama festivals, he was quickly branded as the president’s son by none other than Uhuru Kenyatta.

Several years later, the young actor told NTV he nearly dropped out of school after becoming rich.

A year after Uhuru had offered to pay for his school fees, Owira joined university and as days went by, his pockets and bank account became heavier.

He was earning cash he had never touched before and did not know what to do with all the wealth he was accumulating.

“I will not lie to you, at first year no one really knows what to do with a lot of money. I was getting sponsorships and gigs and did not know what to do with all the cash,” he said.

Even after boosting his mother’s business, providing her with pocket money and furnishing her house, Owira still had escess money he did not know how to put to use.

For a moment, the entertainer considered giving up on education and focussing on his successful career.

Luckily, Uhuru’s “son” chose to finish his academic journey and put to bed any irrational thoughts that crossed his mind.

Uhuru's adopted son Daniel Owira says he nearly left school after becoming rich

Daniel Owira back when he was in campus. Photo: Daniel Owira
Source: Instagram

As previously reported, Uhuru had promised to take care of Owira’s education up to university level.

While committing to take care of his school fees, Uhuru Kenyatta referred to Owira as one of his sons, of course figuratively.

Daniel Owira had plans to pursue a broadcast journalism in future, apparently to utilise his amazing oratory skills as evidenced by his Otonglo narrative.


Continue Reading


I was violently mugged at a well-lit street in Nairobi



On Friday night, I lost my precious wristwatch and my utterly worthless cellphone to muggers at a well-lit street in the Nairobi city centre.

I was heading home from work at about 8.30 pm when a gang of five hoodlums pounced on me along Aru Lane, which is a stone’s throw away from Mfangano Street where I usually board my matatu.

They swiftly cut me off my route, boxed me into a tight corner and relieved me of whatever valuables I had on me.

The guy who initially accosted me – he must have been the ringleader – had threatened to draw a gun and shoot me if I tried anything stupid.

He had both hands in his pockets, so I couldn’t tell whether he had a gun or not, but I didn’t want to take any chances.

As this guy, who was in a greyish hoodie, and his accomplice flanked me on both sides, I took a quick backwards glance and noticed two heavyset fellows closing in. By the time I shifted my gaze forward, yet another menacing figure had sprung from nowhere.

I quickly realised I was cornered and outnumbered.

In that moment, I knew it was no use trying to fight these guys off. Not even the hard-tackling tight-head prop from my rugby-playing days would save me.

I wasn’t ready to become part of the city’s grim crime statistics of those who have been maimed, or had worse things done to them by muggers.

I meekly surrendered to their demands.

The whole incident barely lasted a minute, but in the brief moment I was held hostage in that corner, my mind raced to my wife and two young kids waiting for me at home.

Mercifully, I got through the ordeal unscathed and later got home to a warm hug from my three-year-old son.

I recounted my harrowing experience to my shell-shocked household. It wasn’t until hours later that we partook our evening meal.

Dangerous streets

I’ve since fully recovered from that experience, having had some good rest over the weekend.

When I shared my story with a close relative, he also recounted a similar mugging incident that happened on a Sunday evening at the junction of Mama Ngina Street and Kimathi Street.

Unlike me, this brother attempted to be a hero and nearly paid for it with his life.

In the middle of an ill-advised scuffle with his assailants, one of the muggers drew a knife and swung it at his abdomen. He quickly ducked, and the knife only grazed his thigh.

On seeing that their would-be victim wasn’t going down without a fight, the three thugs quickly vanished into an adjacent alley.

In retrospect, he says, he would not have tried to fight back.

That is what the streets of Nairobi have become; crowded places, bustling with human and car traffic by day but which become extremely dangerous at nightfall.

ATM machines that dot the exterior parts of many banking halls in the CDB are particularly risky places to visit in the evenings, especially when streets are deserted.

So too are alleys and backstreets, including Ngamia Lane and Tausi Lane, on either side of Nation Centre.

My priceless wristwatch is gone, but I thank God I lived to tell the tale – and write a story – of my encounter with Nairobi’s ruthless muggers.

The writer is an online Sub-editor at Nation Media Group 

Continue Reading


error: Content is protected !!