Connect with us

News

Sharon Otieno’s family pleads for justice two years after her murder

Published

on

It has been two years since university student Sharon Otieno was brutally murdered and her body dumped in a thicket in Oyugis, Homa Bay County, but her killers are yet to be brought to book.

Sharon had been missing for a while when her body was found on September 4, 2018.

As her family marked the anniversary of her death on Friday, it said it remained distraught and that the last two weeks were difficult as memories of events surrounding the student’s death flooded.

The sluggish pace of her murder case is more disturbing, they said.

The main suspect in the murder case is Migori Governor Okoth Obado, who was her boyfriend and the father of their unborn child.

A view of university student Sharon Otieno’s home in Magara village, Homa Bay County, on September 4, 2020, where a memorial service in her honour took place.

Ruth Mbula | Nation Media Group

Family’s appeal

On Friday, Sharon’s relatives attended a short prayer service at their home in Magara village, Homa Bay.

“It is like [she died] yesterday. The pain is still fresh in our minds,” said Mr Douglas Otieno, a peasant farmer. His wife Melida Auma is a mitumba trader and kindergarten teacher.

Mr Otieno said the case stalled after the coronavirus was first reported in the country in March.

“We have not heard anything concerning it. We were to go for a pre-trial hearing but nothing has been communicated to us,” he said.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: The real untold story of Sharon Belyne Otieno and Zacharia Okoth Obado

They pleaded with the courts to fast-track the hearings so that the matter is put to rest.

“We pray for quick justice because that is the only thing which will somehow relieve the pain and anguish of losing our first born child,” said Mr Otieno.

The family made a comparison with political petitions, saying they are handled much faster as the families of murdered people live with the extreme pain that death brings.

“We are seeing other cases going on. Where is our daughter’s case? All we want is justice for Sharon and her baby,” said Ms Auma.

Relatives of university student Sharon Otieno attend a memorial service marking two years since her death at their home in Magara village, Homa Bay County, on September 4, 2020.

What happened

Sharon, who attended Rongo University, was stabbed eight times while seven months pregnant.

Sharon and journalist Barack Oduor went missing last year in September. They were kidnapped but the journalists managed to jump out of the abductors’ moving car, sustaining serious injuries.

A postmortem report stated that the fatal blow to both Sharon and her unborn baby was a stabbing through the 26 year-old’s abdomen.

Mr Obado admitted that the slain university student was his girlfriend.

Detectives and government scientists confirmed, to the highest degree known to science, that the baby boy ripped from Ms Sharon’s womb was Obado’s.

“There are 99.99+pc more chances that Zacharia Okoth Obado is the biological father of the foetus, that is Sharon Belyne Otieno’s child,” the detectives said.

READ ALSO:   Okoth Obado starts battle for his life

The High Court in Nairobi released the governor on a Sh5 million bail.

His co-accused who are his close confidants, Michael Oyamo and Caspal Obiero, are awaiting conclusion of their cases.

by Nation.africa

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Kimunya hits at Maraga over Parliament dissolution

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

National Assembly Majority Leader Amos Kimunya has accused Chief Justice David Maraga of creating chaos in the country with his advisory to President Uhuru Kenyatta on dissolving the Parliament.

Kimunya said Maraga made advisory just a week after he appeared before a House committee that apparently annoyed him by insisting he should be prepared to leave office soon.

Speaking to K24 on Sunday, September 27, Kimunya said Maraga appeared before the Justice and Legal Affairs Committee on the September 14 and a week later, he issued the advisory “as an act of self-preservation”.

“This advisory was not done in good faith. It was an act of self-preservation,” he said.

The majority leader also added that the CJ was fully aware that the House had started the process of passing the law allowing for the representation of the marginalised groups including women.

He said there was a matter pending in court also linked to the law and said it was shady that Maraga did not wait for the court case to be determined but thought it was better the Parliament to be dissolved.

In his letter to the president, Maraga said the National Assembly and the Senate had failed to enact legislation required to implement the gender rule for nine years.

READ ALSO:   Obado’s former aide arrested by homicide detectives

He said the dissolution of Parliament under Article 261(7) needed to be enforced to compel the political elite to fully adhere to the 2010 Constitution.

Continue Reading

News

Bungoma man who hung onto a helicopter dies

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

Bungoma’s ‘James Bond’, the man who made headlines when he hung onto a chopper that was ferrying the body of fallen businessman Jacob Juma, has died.

The man, identified as Saleh Wanjala, died at the Bungoma County Referral Hospital on Monday, September 28, 2020.

Family members confirmed that ‘Bond’ was found unconscious and then taken to the hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

The man will be remembered for his dare-devil stunt when he was filmed in 2016 hanging onto a chopper for over 2km in a manner reminiscent of James Bond, the famous British movie spy.

After the chopper incident, he was arrested and arraigned but released thereafter.

His body was taken to Bungoma County Referral Hospital mortuary.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: The real untold story of Sharon Belyne Otieno and Zacharia Okoth Obado
Continue Reading

News

Ruto skips COVID-19 conference despite invitation 

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

Deputy President William Ruto on Monday, September 28, failed to attend the Covid-19 conference hosted at the KICC.

The official programme indicated that Ruto was expected to speak after former Prime Minister Raila Odinga and welcome Uhuru to issue his speech.

Kanze Dena confirmed that Ruto was invited to the conference but was a no-show when it commenced at around 2 p.m.

Ruto’s Deputy Director of Communications Emmanuel Talam, however, raised questions about the Deputy President being invited to the conference.

However, Kimilili MP Didmus Barasa said the DP had a meeting planned with European Union delegates.

“He had a very important meeting which took longer than expected. It is not necessary that he has to attend the conference because he is the assistant to the President so when Uhuru is attending, he does not necessarily have to attend.

“He was meeting EU delegates in Karen to unlock the deadlock of global funds brought about by the Covid-19 millionaires Exposé so that the country can resume receiving the funding,” explained Barasa.

Nominated Senator Millicent Omanga on her side insisted that Ruto was not invited to the conference.

“When planning for COVID-19 response mechanisms they neither invited Ruto nor did they offer him a seat.

READ ALSO:   Sharon and I were lovers: Obado

“After messing up and they need someone articulate they offered him a seat at the National Covid-19 conference. And you expected him to attend? NEVER!” she noted.

Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

September 2020
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!