Connect with us

Lifestyle

DP Ruto donates cash to family of Kenyan student who died in Russia

Published

on

Deputy President William Ruto over the weekend came to aid of the family of a 20-year-old Kenyan student who died in Russia last month.

This is according to former Machakos Senator Johnstone Muthama, who revealed that the DP donated Sh300,000.

Muthama himself said he donated Sh122,000 to the bereaved family.

“Following the airing of the demise of Abraham Mwendwa in St. Petersburg Russia, I reached out to his family. We have had meetings to support them repatriate (sic) Abraham back home and give him a decent send-off,” Muthama tweeted.

The family of Abraham Mutinda Mwendwa, who was a student at Russia’s St Petersburg Electrotechnical University had appealed for support to bring his body back home.

RUTO’S DONATION

Mwendwa, an Alliance Boys High School alumnus, passed away on September 21 while undergoing treatment in a Russian hospital.

The family of the deceased said the Kenyan embassy in Moscow asked them to make their own plans to bring the body to Kenya despite the deceased being under a government scholarship program.

The deceased’s dad, Ambrose Mwendwa, a resident of Nairobi’s Utalii estate, appealed to the government and well-wishers to help them raise Sh1.5 million required to transport his son’s remains and accord him a decent send-off.

EMERGENCY SURGERY

According to the family, Mwendwa fell ill in mid-July 2020 and was hospitalised for what doctors called an emergency surgery without disclosing what he was ailing from.

Mwendwa was later discharged after a successful surgery and he was said to have been recuperating before he was taken ill again.

“Four weeks later, he started passing some blood mixed with pus from the wound. He was rushed to the hospital and upon diagnosis, they recommended another surgery to correct the error from the previous one,” the family said.

The deceased emerged 18th nationally in the 2013 KCPE examinations and was among the top students in the 2017 KCSE examinations.

By NN

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Lifestyle

Mystery murders, abductions baffle families, police

Published

on

When Thomas Ochieng, who runs an eatery in Kisumu left work to meet a caller about two weeks ago, he was optimistic that he would strike a business deal.

The 41-year-old father of five, commonly known as ‘Chuks’, confided in his friends that the caller wanted him to provide catering services for his 40 guests for three days.

Mr Ochieng hired a boda boda rider, to take him to a hotel in Milimani where he was to meet the guests.

He asked the motorcyclist a friend, to accompany him to the hotel, where they met three people.

Later, they went to a night club in the Central Business District and parted ways after agreeing to seal the deal the following morning.

On Wednesday at 8am, Ochieng left his house to meet the clients.

Recovered from the lake

His family and workers were looking forward to seeing him later in the day.

Little did they know that Ochieng would join the statistics of people who have mysteriously gone missing only to be found brutally murdered days later.

The mysterious disappearance of people in the region has baffled security agencies as no suspects have been arrested. Several people have gone missing, including a teacher and his driver who are yet to be found.

About three days after Ochieng’s disappearance, the body was found lying at the Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching and Referral Hospital mortuary with deep cuts and some body parts missing.

The body was taken to the mortuary by Kenya Coast Guard Service officers after they recovered it from Lake Victoria.

The family has started burial plans for the businessman even as they plead for justice.

The deceased’s cousin, David Guya, said they now live in fear as they do not know the motive of the killing of the man who led a peaceful life in Dunga.

“We do not know why our brother was killed. We are only hoping that his killers will be brought to book,” said Mr Guya.

But the family is not alone, a few metres from their home the family of a teacher who was also brutally murdered and dumped in a sewage lagoon is yet to come to terms with his death.

The decomposing body of Joseph Onyango was found floating in a sewage lagoon a few days after he mysteriously went missing from his home. The body had deep cuts and the family suspects he was tortured before he was murdered.

When the Sunday Standard visited his home yesterday, the widow, Mercy Otieno, was attending to their five-year-old child.

“He was our sole bread winner and his murder has completely destroyed our lives,” she said as she battled tears.

Onyango was a primary school teacher in Nyakach sub-county.

“He did not have any issues with anyone and we are still wondering why he had to die that way,” she said.

In the past one month, three cases of people who have gone missing only to be found murdered have been reported in the region as pressure piles on security agents to bring perpetrators to book.

Other cases have been reported since the year began, including the brutal murder of a 42-year-old NGO worker in Riat.

Caren Anyango’s body was found in a pool of blood in an office block where she worked as a support staff and caretaker for Community Initiative Action Group (CIAG-K) and Transparency International (TI).

Yesterday, Chris Owala, a colleague, said no suspects have been arrested.

Interdicted

A nurse, Ferdinand Ongeri, 40, was abducted by unknown people at Riat dispensary. His body was later found dumped in a forest in Nandi, several kilometres away.

A post-mortem report indicated that he died due to excessive bleeding after his throat was slit and mouth slashed with a sharp object.

In August, the body of a teacher who went missing a few weeks after she was interdicted was found dumped by the roadside at Tido.

And as concerns grow over mysterious deaths, several families are also struggling to find their kin who have gone missing.

In Nyamasaria, the family of Enock Odhiambo, a primary school teacher, is yet to find him and his driver, more than a month after they left home to attend a burial in Migori.

His car was found abandoned a few metres from Sondu. Yesterday, his wife Milka Oyoyo pleaded with police to help locate her husband.

“My children have been asking me where their father is, but I do not know what to tell them,” she said.

Spent a fortune

The family said they have spent a fortune in an attempt to locate the two.

Activists have challenged police officers to resolve the cases and ensure justice is served to the families.

Yesterday, County Commander Ranson Lolmodol said they were yet to arrest any suspects as investigations continue.

“We have already launched investigations into the murders. In the case of the missing persons, we have opened a file and we are doing our best to trace them,” said Lolmodol.

On Friday, activists led by Audi Ogada presented a petition to security agencies in Kisumu to push them to bring the perpetrators to book.

by Standardmedia.co.ke

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

READ THIS BEFORE MEGA ANNOUNCEMENT!

Published

on

Investing with Optiven guarantees value for your money PLUS great JOY For you & YOUR family

Now available in Machakos, the Garden of Joy by Optiven is located only 7 minutes drive from Koma town.

The project has Compacted Murram roads, perimeter fence, and open areas for families, multiple sports areas and much more.

Keep it here for a mega announcement on Friday, 23rd October 2020 at 4pm. Take this opportunity NOW and save before the prices go up!

Our early bird offer is only 1.295M or pay up in installments of up-to 12 months upon a deposit of 200k only. Our site visits are FREE

Get your investment!
Call us TODAY on 0723 400 500 0790 300 300

https://www.optiven.co.ke/properties/garden-of-joy

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Families in pain as case on children’s deaths goes cold

Published

on

With obvious misery lingering in his mildly teary eyes, hands on his cheek, and downcast face, heartbroken Stephen Mulinge speaks in a faint voice.

Mulinge talks haltingly about an arduous couple of months following the shattering discovery and burial of his daughter, Alvinah Mutheu.

From the sitting room, one can clearly see that Mulinge’s home seems to have been barely occupied in recent days. The kitchenware is neatly in place, the floors spotlessly clean and the air quiet, despite the chaotic noises outside the house.

“We don’t live here anymore, but we still pay rent. I just came to check the condition of the house,” Mulinge says.

And perhaps, he says, the apartment his young family once called home may never feel like it again, the same way his family will never be whole again.

On June 11, Alvinah, 3, along with her friend and neighbour, four-year-old Henry Jacktone disappeared while playing outside the residential building where they lived with their families, just next to KMC Estate in Athi River.

But in a shocking turn of events that stunned the country, the decomposed bodies of the young children were discovered on July 1, in a car that the Athi River police officers had towed to the police station’s yard in March, after an accident. The parents had earlier reported the disappearance of the children at the same police station.

Months after the unsettling deaths and burials of Alvinah and Henry, their grieving and desperate parents have fled the haunting and burdensome memories that still hang over their homes, from where their young children vanished, never to return alive.

Mulinge says life will never be the same again for his family, with the unexplained death of his daughter leaving a lifelong scar on their once blissful lives.

“Alvinah’s death derailed us. We left everything behind after her demise. We have never returned to live here since we travelled for the burial in Machakos. We are still figuring out what to do,” Mulinge said during an interview from the apartment where the family used to live.

Mulinge adds that the tragedy plunged them into confusion. For now, he says, all they can do is while away their days in their upcountry home as they think about how to pick up the pieces, even though they do not know how to.

“I am deeply hurt but I have to pull myself together for the sake of our other child,” said Mulinge’s wife, Catherine Musembi, via a phone interview from Machakos.

Catherine further said she opted to remain in Machakos with their older child, since bringing him back to the house in Athi River so soon could be traumatic for him.

A relative of Clinton Odhiambo and Fenny Aoko, the parents of Henry, who declined to give his name told The Standard that the loss had severely impacted the boy’s parents.

“We are trying to help the family forget. We don’t want to keep bringing up the issue,” the close relative said, noting that Henry’s death had absolutely devastated his parents.

Like Alvinah’s parents, the family member said, the haunting memories of Henry’s death have made his family to move from the building where they lived.

He said Henry’s parents moved to another residence within Athi River after the incident.

What exacerbated their pain, the family member said, was the fact that the trail suddenly went cold. As both families reveal, the authorities who were handling the investigations, including Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) officers and officers from Athi River Police Station, went silent on the progress of the investigations.

But still, the affected parents want to know what happened to their children so they can get closure.

“At least if we get answers and know what happened we will brace ourselves and try to move on,” Mulinge says. “You just feel alone. We are still in darkness two months later. We don’t even know where to begin.”

When the postmortem examination results were released, Chief Government Pathologist Johansen Oduor told the media they were inconclusive as the state of the bodies hindered a proper analysis. He said the cause of the children’s deaths could not be determined following the damage caused by the decomposition of their remains. However, the pathologist also noted that the bodies did not exhibit obvious signs of physical injury.

“I just avoid thinking about it. The police said they would collaborate with a mobile phone company to pursue the identities of the individuals who called us asking for ransom after our children disappeared, but we have not heard anything. No one from the police station has bothered to talk to us ever since they gave us our child’s body,” said Catherine.

DCI Head of investigations John Kariuki said yesterday the matter was still under investigation.

“What justice will come out of the media reporting the plight of the families? Will it bring the children back to life,” the relative of Henry’s parents asked.

By Standardmedia.co.ke

Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

October 2020
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!