Connect with us

News

Kenyan mom whose mentally unwell Son was assaulted by UK cops speaks out

Published

on

A UK-based Kenyan woman whose 24-year-old son was brutalized by police in Colchester, Essex in an incident captured on camera has spoken out.

In an interview with Daily Nation on Tuesday, the mother identified as Japhet confirmed her son, Wycliff Cox is suffering from a mental illness and was trying to get him to the hospital when the incident happened on September 21st.

Japhet indicated that on that day, she called for an ambulance to shuttle his son to the hospital for treatment but officers from the Essex police department came instead.

“He has suffered from mental illness for a long time. On that day, he went into a mental crisis so I called an ambulance for him to be taken to the hospital, but turned up instead. No ambulance came,” she noted.

“When I asked the police why they were arresting my son, they said he had skipped bail. That was when they started kicking and punching him in the head and ribs. They also broke his nose. There were seven police officers.”

Cox is said to have committed a criminal offense and was arraigned and released on bail with certain conditions that were not publicized but his mother insists he was arrested for a crime he committed while mentally indisposed, adding that her son could not understand the bail terms.

“The police do not care about his health condition as they say they are not medics,” she said.

The family has lodged a complaint with the Essex Police as well as an independent complaints commission.

The incident only came to light last week when a video was uploaded on YouTube, sparking outrage among Kenyans both at home and abroad, as well as some UK nationals.

On Monday, the Kenya High Commission in London said it had written to the UK government demanding a thorough probe into the matter.

“The High Commission has already communicated with the UK government, raising the Government of Kenya’s concerns on the unnecessary force on an unarmed man,” the Mission said in a statement.

“The Government of Kenya is keen that the case that was reported to the UK authorities in late September 2020 be thoroughly investigated so that justice is seen to be done, and also that all involved be held to account for their actions according to UK police conduct and regulations. The health, welfare, and safety of Kenyans living in the United Kingdom remain a priority for the Mission and the Government of the Republic of Kenya,” the mission added.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Official video of Kenyan MPs participating in ‘Jerusalema Challenge’ released

Published

on

The awaited video of Kenyan politicians dancing to the ‘Jerusalama’ hit song has finally been uploaded on their Kenya’s National Assembly YouTube.

This comes just a few weeks after Suba North MP Millie Odhiambo proposed this motion in parliament; hoping to be the first parliament in the world to take part in the challenge. And for a minute many assumed that this could not work; until the video finally surfaced on online on Wednesday, 21 October.

Probably because this challenge had already been exhausted by many judging from the many videos of the challenge circulating on social media.

Kenyan politicians participate in Jerusalema video

Anyway, whether you like it or not, Kenyan politicians have gone ahead to release a new video; showing off their dance moves in their ‘Jerusalama challenge.‘ In a video shared less than 2 hours ago, the many politicians are seen grooving to the South African hit song….. and we love it!

By Ghafla.com

Continue Reading

News

Governor Kingi tell off DP Ruto over hustler movement

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

Kilifi Governor Amason Kingi has torn into wheelbarrow initiatives by Deputy President William Ruto terming it a political gimmick that has no benefit to Kenyans.

While addressing Kilifi residents during this year’s Mashujaa Day celebrations at Pwani University grounds the governor said Kenyans will only be freed from poverty, tribalism, and unemployment through the Building Bridges Initiative (BBI).

“The same that are opposing the BBI are the ones going out to give out wheelbarrows as handouts. So they are blocking you from getting the benefits of the BBI and think that they can blindfold you with wheelbarrows,” he said.

Kingi who was in the company of Kilifi County Commissioner Kutswa Olaka said that the BBI report has outlined various interventions including increasing money to counties from the current 15 per cent they are receiving, a situation he said will improve the lives of the residents in counties.

“We have been pushing for the increase of funds to counties from the current 15 per cent and that has been addressed in the BBI report. But it baffles me that someone would go to an extent of opposing the document with all these interventions and then the only thing he gives is wheelbarrows. This is unfair and such people should be ignored,” the governor added.

Kingi downplayed the hustler narrative saying that the DP is far away richer than the people he wants to lie to always.

“If you are hustler like him, then show me your chopper, your luxury houses not one and the luxury cars you own and then we shall know that you are like him. Other than that, then you are cheating yourself away,” he said.

He called on President Uhuru Kenyatta and opposition leader Raila Odinga to immediately release the contents of the BBI report to Kenyans so that the speculative agenda by the Tangatanga team can be silenced.

“If we continue to withhold the report, the prophets of doom will continue to speculate and continue to lie to Kenyans about its contents, I am asking the President and Mr Odinga to release the report,” he added.

Kingi also promised to help deliver and explain the BBI document to his residents, insisting that he will lead in ensuring that Kilifi gets to know the importance of what is contained in the document.

“I will move out as a Governor in 2022 and another person will come in but if BBI is not addressed then the challenges that are there will still exist. I will be in my most pains when after retirement, the only thing I will see in Kilifi is wheelbarrows. That is not what we want as Kilifi residents,” he said.

Continue Reading

News

Jacob ‘Ghost’ Mulee named the new Harambee Stars coach

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

Celebrated coach and media personality Jacob Ghost Mulee has made a return to the National team.

This comes just a day after Head coach Francis Kimanzi and his entire technical team was shown the door.

Football Kenya Federation (FKF) confirmed the appointment of Jacob ‘Ghost’ Mulee and has since unveiled him.

Mulee first assignment is to prepare the team that will face Comoros in AFCON Qualifier match that’s set to be played in November.

Kimanzi left the scene after he masterminded what had been tipped to be an unlikely friendly win against Zambia on October 9 at Nyayo Stadium.

He was appointed in 2019 to replace Sebastien Migne who he worked with as an assistant coach.

Mulee return reminds Kenyans when national team charges helped to qualify for the 2004 Afcon edition in Tunisia.

He is also credited to have mentored the current J1 League top scorer Michael Olunga and his appointment has provided an opportunity for the duo to work again at national level.

Under Nick Mwendwa Mulee becomes the fifth coach to have been appointed since he took office in 2016.

Stanley Okumbi took over in February 2016 and exited in October 2017 while Paul Put who led Kenya to Cecafa title took over in November 2017 and left in February 2018.

Migne who led the country to the 2019 Afcon finals but, a Chan qualifying setback against Tanzania saw him part ways with the team on mutual consent paving the way for Kimanzi’s rise to the helm.

Kimanzi remained in charge from August 2019 to October 20, 2020, and he left just days after Mwendwa had secured another four-year term as the FKF president.

Mulee and his technical bench are expected to help Harambee Stars fight for back-to-back Afcon qualifications with two matches against Egypt and Togo already played.

Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

October 2020
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!