Connect with us

Lifestyle

Phone call that caused deadly chaos

Published

on

Police officers supposed to be on duty during the chaotic visit to Murang’a by Deputy President William Ruto were withdrawn at the last minute despite intelligence reports indicating possibility of violence.

Sources within the police service have revealed that a detailed security plan, prepared by the local police and shared with their seniors at the county and regional levels, was trashed a day before the chaotic Sunday.

Details of the security plans are contained in a police document dubbed ‘operation order’. The document, which had been trashed, came to light yesterday after senior police commanders recorded statements with the Police Internal Affairs (PIA) unit.

The commanders stationed at Makuyu Police Station recorded statements with a six–man team from IAU. A verbal communication was issued to local police chiefs instructing them to withdraw all officers from Kenol town on the day Ruto and his brigade were to attend the church function at the Kenol AIPCA church.

Ordinarily, senior government officials would be at hand to welcome the DP during such a visit. Police officers would also be deployed to man different areas including roads leading to the venue where the DP would be visiting.

This was not the case. On Sunday, neither the county commissioner nor his deputy were at hand to welcome Ruto. The directive to withdraw the officers came from unidentified individuals at the Office of the President.

READ ALSO:   Mzee Moi death: DP Ruto praises late president for retiring when his term expired

Besides the orders to withdraw police officers from the ground, the unnamed state operatives are reported to have also directed the Maragua Sub-county Commissioner to keep off the DP’s event. The sub-county commissioner was granted leave and asked to travel to his rural home for a rest over the weekend despite having not requested time off, sources told The Standard.

However, none of the senior officers in the chain of command revealed the names or identities of the state operatives who issued orders withdrawing security during Ruto’s visit. “All of them say the orders came from above. We don’t know who it is at the top they are referring to,” said an officer familiar with the happenings.

Inspector General of Police Hilary Mutyambai on Sunday directed IAU, led by Mohammed Amin, to investigate the conduct of local police officers in their plannings during the fateful day.

Two men, said to have been hired goons ferried from Kiandutu slums in Kiambu, died in clashes between supporters of the Kieleweke and TangaTanga Jubilee political factions.

Despite the directive to withdraw officers from the ground, Makuyu police boss Anthony Ketter, under whose jurisdiction the chaos took place, assembled a team of 24 officers, just in case an emergency occured. The 24 officers were drawn from different police stations in Murang’a. The officers were however not deployed to the streets.

READ ALSO:   Ruto declines to reveal his net worth

Instead, they were stationed at the Kenol sub-county offices where they remained stuck in lorries until the violence broke out. By then, the youth said to have been hired to cause the chaos had already barricaded a section of the road by lighting fires.

Top police commanders in Murang’a, among them Makuyu Police boss Anthony Ketter, County Commander Josphat Kinyua, Regional Police commander Patrick Lumumba and other senior officers from the rank of Inspector are lined up for questioning by the Amin team.

Senior officers

Kandara police boss Isaac Thuranira, who was among senior officers from neighbouring police division present, will also record a statement with IAU.

The IAU investigators have for the last two days been camping at Makuyu Police Station where they have been taking statements from the senior officers.

A second team comprising officers from the Makuyu Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) has also been questioning officers and residents over the Sunday chaos.

Yesterday, sources familiar with the investigations said the Amin team was also analysing the police station Occurrence Books to verify the instructions issued to police officers on security plans for the day.

Yesterday, Mr Kinyua said he had recorded a statement with the IAU but declined to make more comments on the matter.

READ ALSO:   Betrayal? Ruto ‘was assured Ruai land won’t be touched’

By Standard.co.ke

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Lifestyle

MP Millie Odhiambo denies shouting down DP Ruto

Published

on

Suba North MP Millie Odhiambo (pictured), has denied shouting down Deputy President William Ruto at Bomas of Kenya yesterday at the Bomas of Kenya. Odhiambo says she was only answering questions posed by the DP in his BBI address.

The outspoken legislator says she did not have a microphone to enable her respond to DP Ruto’s submissions against the Building Bridges Initiative (BBI) report.

“I was answering his questions because he was asking us questions about what should be done, and I was basically reminding him he is the deputy president and I should be asking him the questions he was asking and not vice versa,” the MP said in an exclusive interview with KTN News.

Odhiambo concurred with DP Ruto’s thinking when she acknowledged that there may be areas that need strengthening in the report even if it promises more gains to the Kenyan people.

 “There are some issues that will be addressed through the constitutional review and some through legislative action,” she told KTN News.

Suba North MP Millie Odhiambo during the launch of the Building Bridges to a United Kenya Taskforce Report at the Bomas of Kenya in Nairobi. [Stafford Ondego, Standard]

During the launch at the Bomas of Kenya, DP Ruto made several submissions on areas to be reviewed in the BBI report.

READ ALSO:   Will Ruto’s survival instincts win him top seat in 2022?

In his speech, he said the real elephant in the room was the post-poll winner-takes-it-all mentality which the BBI was trying to address by creating the position of a Prime Minister and two deputies.

He wondered how that would take care of other big political heavyweights who would still find themselves without political offices.

Midway his speech, the DP had to pause as sections of the crowd jeered at him while shouting “Respect the President.”

According to Odhiambo, the DP was talking of a coalition government something that the BBI report is not addressing.

“BBI is talking about inclusion [and] we are saying that in a case where you win as a president, then you need to expand the framework of regions that are represented in the executive,” she said.

The MP rubbished reports that DP Ruto allies never received invites for the Bomas of Kenya conference.

Odhiambo said most of the Tangatanga allied MPs chose not to show up despite being invited to the forum that was to be used to air issues in the report.

However, Kikuyu MP Kimani Ichungwah, a DP Ruto ally, says the process was surrounded with hypocrisy.

He echoed Ruto’s remarks that the report did not touch on issues affecting Kenyans such as unemployment of the youth, saying this ought to constitute the national dialogue.

READ ALSO:   'Odd' hubby-wifey handshake

“The only two people who captured imaginations of Kenyans were DP Ruto and former vice president Musalia Mudavadi,” he said, adding that, “those are the only people who were bold enough to articulate the real issues affecting Kenyans.”

Despite being heckled Ruto made his remarks insisting we needed to have a candid discussion before the report is embraced.

by standardmedia.co.ke

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Ex-military officer accused of killing ex-wife, children wants ATM cards released

Published

on

A former senior military officer at the Laikipia Air Base accused of murdering his ex-wife and her two children has asked the court to allow him to get back ATM cards and other personal items confiscated by police.

Major Peter Mugure told Justice Abigail Mshila that detectives took away his ATM cards which may not be used as evidence in the murder case, where he is accused of killing his ex-wife Joyce Syombua, Shanice Maua and Prince Michael.

“They took away a number of personal items including my ATM cards. I’m asking to have them returned to me because I do not think they are part of the evidence,” Mugure told the Justice Mshila in a virtual court session.

Although some of the personal items could be used as part of the evidence, Mshila told Mugure to make a list of the items and asked defence counsel to check the inventory and make an application for the release of items that state doesn’t need as evidence.

“Some of the personal items like clothing, or ATM cards could be taken for analysis to enable show your movements. The inventory is in the prosecution file and you could make a list of the items you need to be released,” said Mshila.

READ ALSO:   PHOTOS: Would you pay Sh100k for Chai na Chapati as DP Ruto "did?"

The case in which Mugure is jointly accused with Collins Pamba, a former employee at Laikipia Air Base was coming up for hearing on Tuesday but it was postponed to a later date following the transfer of Judge Jairus Ngaah who was handling the matter in Nyeri.

Mugure joined the session from King’ong’o GK Prison in Nyeri and Pamba at Kerugoya prison.

The two are accused of killing the deceased parsons on October 26 last year at the Laikipia Air Base situated in Nanyuki.

The three bodies were recovered buried in a shallow grave after Pamba led police to the site at Kilimo area in Thingithu, in the outskirts of Nanyuki town.

In the previous session when the ex-major was denied bail on February 21, Justice Ngaah cited damning evidence in Pamba’s affidavit implicating Mugure in the gruesome murder of his ex-lover and his two children.

Pamba’s statement as recorded in court file detailed how Mugure called him from Nairobi on a material day and asked for his help to the ferry and bury the bodies and in return, help the casual worker secure employment at Kenya Defense Forces.

The mentioned date was scheduled for December 9.

By Standardmedia.co.ke

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Former news anchors Hussein Mohamed, Yussuf Ibrahim proudly work alongside each other for USAID initiative

Published

on

Former Citizen TV news anchor Hussein Mohammed has been doing perfectly fine since he left his plum job.

Former news anchors Hussein Mohamed, Yussuf Ibrahim proudly work alongside each other for USAID initiative

Hussein Mohamed, Yussuf Ibrahim proudly working alongside each other for USAID initiative. Photo credits: Yussuf Ibrahim.
Source: Facebook

Posting on social media, journalist Yussuf Ibrahim revealed that he has been working closely with the media guru on the Resilience Learning Activity (RLA), a project funded by USAID Kenya.

“Proud to be working with my senior @HusseinMohamedg in this very noble initiative RLA (Resilience Learning Activity) funded by USAID Kenya The webinars involved the capacity building of ASALs County stakeholders on crisis communication more so during the ongoing #COVID19 pandemic,” wrote Ibrahim.

Ibrahim who is a communication strategist and voice-over artist is the founder of Ubra Media.

Many people were amazed by the duo and took to the various platforms to congratulate them for their good work.

A Facebook user identified as Cathra Hussein commented:

“Ma Sha Allah am so proud of you, the sky is no longer the limit.”

Abumuhsin Ibrahim commended them for their win:

Yussuf Ibrahim great job proud of you Hussein for a great job!!

Adow Mohamed added:

Sons and media stars of the north. Keep soaring.

Abdul-Hakeem Mohammed commented:

Mashallah, Big men!congratulations.

Hussein left the Royal Media-owned station in 2019.

The former news anchor revealed to fans that he will be taking a break off the screen after October 2019.

In a post seen by TUKO.co.ke on Friday, October 4, the journalist stated he will use his break from TV to concentrate on other matters.

Hussein thanked his colleagues at Citizen for sharing the best moments of his life with him.

It is also through his post that he revealed to fans and followers that he has worked for Citizen TV for ten years.

”It has been a wonderful 10 years at Citizen TV. I have enjoyed and relished every moment I shared with my colleagues at RMS. I have decided to take a break after October In Sha Allah to concentrate on other matters. Loved the fans, the critics and everything in between. See you soon,” he wrote.‬

By Tuko.co.ke

READ ALSO:   Presidential social distancing
Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

October 2020
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending