Connect with us

Courts

Shocking testimony that nailed quack doctor Mugo

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 2
  •  
  •  
  •  

A confrontation with a terrified patient seeking abortion and openly taking drugs before her were the rogue actions that helped send bogus doctor Mugo wa Wairimu to prison.

The married woman had visited Mugo at his ‘clinic’ in Kayole after his initial prescription to terminate the pregnancy failed, but she fled following a horrifying encounter in 2018.

She had been married to a Ghanaian, but by the time she realised she was pregnant, she had separated from the man, who was working with a United Nations agency in Asia.

At the time, she worked with a local NGO and was doing business in South Sudan. She was also studying for a diploma in Community Development.

She chose not to keep the pregnancy and went online, searching for a hospital that could help her.

That is how she happened on Millan International Health Ltd.

She sent a text message and the hospital called her. The caller introduced himself as Dr James and said he was an agent of Marie Stopes Hospital, known for offering contraception and safe abortions around the world. He interviewed her and a few days later, sent her the abortion pills as a parcel, for which she paid Sh6,000.

She was instructed not to take any food before taking the pills. She had been assured that the abortion would be successful within 24 hours. But it wasn’t.

Visit him

On November 19, 2018, she called Mugo, who told her to visit him at the clinic in Nyama Villa area in Kayole.

The woman receptionist ushered her in to the doctor’s office.

“The room was disorganised. There was a bed by the side, shelves where I saw cotton wool and medicine packed. A small fridge and a machine about three feet high,” said the woman.

READ ALSO:   Officers pounce on quack doctor Mugo wa Wairimu while changing hideouts

Mugo told her that since the pills had not worked, he recommended another method that involved injecting her.

As they were chatting, a man came in and injected Mugo with an unknown drug on the forehead – near the hairline.

“I was shocked and asked why he was doing that. He also inserted a drip (line) into the needle. I walked out towards the main gate. It was locked and the reception lady said she could not open without instructions from the doctor,” said the witness.

James Ndichu, popularly known as Mugo wa Wairimu, in Milimani Law Courts in 2019.

Dennis Onsongo | Nation Media Group

Mugo shouted through the window and told the receptionist ‘fungulia hiyo kisirani iende’ (open and let that troublemaker go).

She was among five of 11 prosecution witnesses who had testified in the case by the time the fake doctor pleaded guilty.

Another witness, Ann Wanjiru, had gone to the clinic for treatment following an injury on the lower leg.

However, the medical procedure was interrupted because the authorities raided the clinic when ‘Dr Kamunya’ was set to begin the medical procedure.

Mugo’s landlady, Wanja Kagwi, testifying for the prosecution, said when he approached her in September 2018, Mugo said he wanted to use the house as a pharmacy. He paid Sh5,000 deposit and a further Sh5,000 as rent for that month.

He also paid rent in October, but in November, he did not pay and instead started playing a ‘cat and mouse game’ with the landlady, who is also a primary school teacher.

“I sent him an SMS requesting him to vacate the house because he had also not given me his details,” she said.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Fake doctor busted raping a drugged patient for 24 minutes

Very bold

The self-proclaimed doctor-cum-political blogger was so bold that he ran a health clinic although he had no medical training.

He not only attended to unsuspecting patients with regular treatments and drug prescriptions, but he also offered laboratory and gynaecological services.

When police and officials of the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists (KMPD) Board raided his clinic, Millan Health International Ltd in Kayole, Nairobi, it was established that he had neither professional certificates nor registration papers for the clinic.

However, the 45-year-old man also known as Dr James Mugo Ndichu alias Dr Jimmy, was known as a doctor in the densely populated neighbourhood. Other services he offered was termination of pregnancies.

At the time of his arrest on November 3, 2018, following a raid by KMPD and police, he had operated the hospital for three months having moved from Kasarani – another densely populated residential area.

The raid of the clinic, which was situated in a four-roomed house, came after an investigative feature by NTV.

Firm instructions

Mugo had hired two employees, whom he had given firm instructions to keep the door always locked.

One employee, Victor Kamunya, was a student at the Kenya Medial Training College. He worked the night shift and also doubled as doctor-in-charge of the clinic.

The other was Risper Auma, the receptionist. Ms Auma was a first-year student at Kiriri Women’s University, studying Procurement, Management and Supplies.

However, Ms Auma told police that her sister Ann was the employee of Millan, not her. She said during the police raid, she had visited her sister, the receptionist.

Risper Auma Ogony and Victor Kamunya in Milimani Law Courts in 2018.

Dennis Onsongo | Nation Media Group

As Mugo serves his 11-year prison term passed by a court recently, Mr Kamunya and Ms Auma are battling criminal charges of operating a medical clinic without a licence.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Fake doctor busted raping a drugged patient for 24 minutes

Mr Mugo was convicted on his plea of guilty, leaving his co-accused fighting the case.

At his sentencing, he did not have much to say, only asking the court to be lenient because he had been in custody for the past two years. The prosecutor, James Machira, urged the court to hand him a harsh penalty because he endangered the lives of Kenyans.

The presiding magistrate, Martha Nanzushi, described Mugo’s business as risky, given that he lacked medical training and that the clinic posed a great danger to unsuspecting Kenyans who sought health services from him. Mr Mugo is not a nurse or midwife.

The prosecution case against Mr Mugo was tightened by letters written to detectives by three agencies of the Ministry of Health: the Radiation Protection Board, the Nursing Council of Kenya and the Kenya Medical Laboratory Technicians and Technologists Board (KMLTTB).

In letters dated November 28, 2018, they confirmed that Mugo was not a registered medical practitioner and his clinic was neither registered nor authorised to offer health services.

“The council confirms that Mr Mugo is not a nurse or midwife. He has never been indexed, registered or licensed by the council,” said Nursing Council CEO Edna Tallam-Kimaiyo.

KMLLTB, for its part, said it had issued Mugo’s clinic with a closure notice on August 6, 2018 after finding it illegally offering medical laboratory services.

“Neither the facility nor the employees purporting to offer medical laboratory services were registered and licensed by the board,” said KMLLTB registrar Abdulatif Ali.

Records of the Radiation Board indicated that Mugo was not among people authorised to work with radiation machines, and his clinic was not licensed to possess an irradiating device, according to Mr Opar John.

by nation.africa


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 2
  •  
  •  
  •  
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Courts

Willy Mutunga’s former wife loses bid to revive divorce suit

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 1
  •  
  •  
  •  

Former Chief Justice Willy Mutunga’s ex-wife Beverle Michaele Lax (pictured) has lost a bid to revive a divorce appeal she filed against him in 2015.

The Court of Appeal had initially dismissed Lax’s appeal against a High Court divorce ruling for her lawyer’s failure to pursue it.

She, however, went back, saying her lawyers never informed her that the case was coming up.

But Court of Appeal Judges Asike Makhandia, Jamilla Mohammed and Sankale ole Kantai found that her conduct, while the appeal was pending, did not persuade the court to intervene.

According to the judges, Lax filed a separate case to dissolve the same marriage at a San Mateo County Court in California, US, and never informed the Kenyan court about it.

The court observed that the High Court had finally dissolved the marriage, hence her appeal had been overtaken by events.

“We cannot fathom the reason(s) for this action. Be that as it may, it does again point to the applicant as a person without candour. What the applicant is seeking from this court is really the exercise of discretion,” the judges ruled.

The court found that if Lax was discussing with her lawyers about their pay, they must have informed her about the appeal.

READ ALSO:   Officers pounce on quack doctor Mugo wa Wairimu while changing hideouts

Lax told the court that she came to learn about the dismissal of her case in November last year when she temporarily visited Kenya. She narrated that she only managed to peruse the file on January 24, 2020 and could not have attended court as she was unwell.

She said her then lawyers failed to inform her that if she did not pay their legal fees, they would not attend the court sessions.

“There is no doubt that the applicant was in constant communication with her counsel who were irksome in demanding their legal fees and we therefore find it difficult to believe that she was not informed of the hearing date,”  the judges ruled.

Mutunga opposed her application and told the court he filed a divorce case against Lax in 2009. According to him, the court gave its judgement on July 26, 2012.

Aggrieved with the High Court’s decision, Mutunga said his ex-wife filed an appeal on September 18, 2015, but the case did not proceed out of her delaying tactics.

He explained that when the case came up for hearing on November 18, 2015, Lax sought for Deputy Chief Justice Philomena Mwilu, who was then a Court of Appeal judge, to withdraw from the bench that was hearing the case.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Fake doctor busted raping a drugged patient for 24 minutes

By Standardmedia.co.ke


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 1
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Courts

Mombasa lawyer loses Sh20 million to ‘mganga hatari’

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 1
  •  
  •  
  •  

A Mombasa lawyer charged with stealing Sh20 million from his client told a court the money was swindled by a mganga from Tanzania. Witchdoctor

Musa Ngare Aziz told Senior Principal Magistrate Francis Kyambia that he contracted a Mr Mohammed, a witch doctor, to help him sell red mercury reportedly valued at over Sh100 million. The mercury was purportedly in the possession of a woman identified as Sarah from Samburu.

Mohammed took Aziz through ritual including meeting with ‘invisible sheikhs’ in dark caves in Mombasa, besides other rituals in Tanzania to help in selling the mercury to increase his fortunes.

But it was the beginning of his financial drain, physical torture and death threats, said Aziz, who confessed to his parents after recovering from a road accident that, “I had been conned a lot of money mainly belonging to my clients.”

Aziz said a friend introduced him to Sarah as a client in need of legal services to sell mercury. Sarah in turn, introduced him to the mganga ostensibly after failing to find a buyer. Since the deal was purportedly worth Sh105 million, a lawyer was needed. Aziz was taken to a house in Kisauni belonging to a woman identified as Mama Agnes.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Fake doctor busted raping a drugged patient for 24 minutes

“I went to verify the mercury, Agnes poured it on a razor blade and it turned black and while my friend’s blue pen turned red,” Aziz told the court.

“However, Sarah claimed to have seen a snake in the mercury and was told by elders that only Mohamed could help because there was something bad halting the transaction, which needed cleansing,” Aziz narrated.

He added that he used his own and client’s money for Mohammed’s costly rituals for which he was brought before the court charged with stealing Sh20 million belonging to his client, Majid Rashid Abdalla, on diverse dates between October 6 and 27, 2015.

The police haven’t arrested Mohammed or the ‘invisible sheikhs’ as they apparently are afraid of venturing into the dark caves.

Aziz told the court that the invisible sheikhs asked for a bag, which disappeared but was returned full of cash equivalent to Sh105 million – the value of the mercury. The bag was then closed and keys handed to Aziz to open once the sheikhs secured a buyer for the mercury.

He said Mohamed had asked him and his team to bring with them Sh20,000 as entry fee into the cave and a big bag. He was told to place Sh300,000 in the four corners of the bag totalling Sh1.2 million.

READ ALSO:   Officers pounce on quack doctor Mugo wa Wairimu while changing hideouts

He said that voices demanded the bag, which disappeared and when it returned, it was full of cash equivalent to Sh105 million.

The invisible sheikhs then demanded a second bag stashed with 1.5 million on each corner but when Aziz returned to the cave with the bag containing $60,000 (Sh6 million), the sheikhs were not impressed. They reportedly threatened and tortured Aziz, who was warned against going to work and was fined Sh100,000.

Every Thursday, Mohammed demanded Sh80,000 to feed the invisible sheikhs with camel meat. He gave Mohamed the cash directly or took it to the caves himself or through his friend. Aziz also catered for Mohamed’s travels from Tanzania and accommodation in Nyali during the entire duration of the rituals in Mombasa.

Aziz promised to reimburse the money in instalments. Hearing is set for Nov 25.

by Standardmedia.co.ke


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 1
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Courts

Man to be charged for telling police he’d been robbed

Published

on

Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 1
  •  
  •  
  •  

A man will be arraigned today at the Kibera Law Courts for giving false information to police officers.

Mr Richard Muriuki is accused of lying to the police that he had been robbed at the Nyayo Stadium roundabout in Nairobi.

According to the DCI, on the night of October 20, 2020, Muriuki made a robbery with violence report at the Langata Police Station claiming that occupants of a car that had rammed into his, stole from him.

“Muriuki had reported that a white Nissan had hit his Toyota Fielder at the Nyayo Stadium roundabout along Mombasa road, forcing him to stop. It is at this point he alleged that three men, one brandishing a knife jumped out of the Nissan, confronted him, and took off with his vehicle,” DCI said in a statement on Twitter.

It later emerged that the entire report was a hoax since investigations revealed that on the day, Muriuki hit the said Nissan and fled the accident scene.

His vehicle was towed to Industrial Area Police Station for causing obstruction and detectives managed to track it down.

Muriuki was not robbed as he alleged and will be arraigned for giving false information to a public officer contrary to section 128 (a) of the penal code, the DCI said.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Fake doctor busted raping a drugged patient for 24 minutes

Elsewhere, police are seeking information on two suspects wanted for bank fraud.

DCI on Wednesday said it is pursuing Gerald Gatheru Mwai and Gladys Mwara Kamau, following a warrant of arrest issued by a Nairobi court last month.

Occupants of a car that had rammed into his, stole from him.

“Any person with information that may lead to their arrest to contact DCI headquarters – ECCU section, the nearest Police station, call or SMS 0773004776,” DCI said.

Cases of bank fraud and cybercrimes are not new as criminals become cannier by the day.

A report released in August 2020 identified Kenya being among countries where transnational criminal organisations operate.

Last October, DCI officers arrested three people among them a prison constable- Charles Opollo Ndaga. They were found in possession of over 10,000 Sim Cards, four mobile phones and a laptop.

In the same month, two Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT) students were charged at the Milimani Law Courts for stealing Sh25 million from NCBA Bank. They were also accused of attempting to steal an additional Sh190.7 million from the same bank.

The two were released on a Sh500,000 cash bail each. So expansive is the syndicate who even operate outside the country.

by Standardmedia.co.ke


Spread the love by sharing this post with family and friends
  •  
  • 1
  •  
  •  
  •  
Continue Reading

Special Offer: Own one starting at Ksh 3.7M


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

November 2020
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending