Connect with us

Africa

Embassy alarmed over Kenyans selling land for fake jobs abroad

Published

on

By Judith Gicobi

The trend of individuals selling their land in an effort to gain lucrative professions overseas has alarmed the Kenyan Embassy in Thailand.

The Embassy made it clear that the bulk of possibilities provided by for-profit organizations in Nairobi were nonexistent in a statement issued on Monday, August 22.

Additionally, it stated that the agencies were a part of a global syndicate that victimized unwary job seekers all around the world and left many of its victims and their families in financial ruin.

“Fake employment agents continue to make millions from the unsuspecting young Kenyans. The Embassy warns Kenyans to be wary and stop selling family land and meager income for fake jobs,” the High Commission warned.

Moreover, it was revealed that families were putting their relatives in danger since some of the organizations were working for human trafficking cartels.

The Embassy reports that once Kenyans reach their intended destinations, their travel documents are confiscated. This prevents them from returning home or contacting the consulates for assistance.

Leonard Ngeno, who says he nearly fell for the fraud, pointed out that the phony recruitment organizations instead provide the unwary Kenyans tourist visas.

Any Kenyan who want to work abroad must first obtain a work visa and a work permit. As a result, tourists who travel abroad risk encounters with local law enforcement.

More Kenyans are relocating to other countries in quest of employment. This is explained by the enormous number of young people (1,2 million yearly) who are released into the labor market as unemployment rates rise.

Africa

Kenyans stranded as diplomatic mission in Sudan closes

Published

on

By Wanja Waweru

The Kenyan diplomatic office was closed on Sunday, leaving Kenyan residents left in the civil war-torn Sudan with an unknown future.

The return of warfare in Sudan, which has been specifically targeting diplomatic posts, was blamed for the closure, which was announced by Foreign Affairs Principal Secretary Korir Sing’Oei.

“The safety of our diplomatic officials is paramount, and we have been receiving disturbing reports of armed groups targeting diplomatic personnel in Khartoum, Sudan. As a result, the Kenya Mission in Khartoum, which had previously remained open to facilitate the evacuation of Kenyans, is now closed,” stated Sing’Oei

Alfred Mutua, the cabinet secretary for foreign affairs, had already told the country in April that plans were in place to evacuate Kenyans if the situation in Sudan worsened. At the time, it was thought that there were around 3,000 Kenyans living in Sudan.

Over 900 Kenyans were flown out of Sudan by the government in coordination with national airlines.

But now that the diplomatic post has been shut down, it’s unclear what will happen to the remaining Kenyans who are still in Sudan. The number of Kenyans still living in the war-torn nation and the arrangements for their departure have not yet been disclosed by the government in a statement.

There are no indicators that the violence in Sudan will end. Only a few days earlier, rockets in Khartoum struck a market, killing 18 people and injuring hundreds more leaving more than 100 injured.

The continued fighting between military troops has prevented the US and Saudi Arabia from mediating peace talks and humanitarian assistance.

Continue Reading

Africa

I did not raise him – Facebook Rapist’s mother speaks

Published

on

Thabo Bester’s mother, Maria Mabaso, recently admitted that she didn’t spend much time with her son while he was growing up. Thabo Bester is also referred to as the “Facebook rapist” and is the most sought criminal in South Africa.

Mabaso claimed in an interview with South Africa’s Eye Witness News that she had to leave her son in the care of his grandmother when he was just a year old since she was a single parent who worked nonstop.

Over time, this caused the bond between Mabaso and her mother to deteriorate.

“He was entrusted into the care of his grandmother at the age of one due to her being a single parent and having to constantly work,” Ms Mabaso told South Africa’s Eye Witness News.

She said this resulted in the relationship between her and her mother worsening over the years.

“At the end of the day, my mother shouted at me every day. She pushed me away. When she pushed me away, I said ‘No, I will sit by my place and I am not going there ever again,” she was quoted as saying.

Ms. Mabaso disclosed that the mother’s illness and subsequent death occurred when the son was in his teen years, at which point she made fruitless attempts to move and establish contact with her son.

Speaking to reporters about the arrest of the couple, who have been on the run since it was discovered that Mr. Bester had escaped from a privately run prison in Bloemfontein in March 2023, Mr. Cele said they had also been detained along with a Mozambican man named Mr. Zakaria Alberto.

“They were arrested with multiple passports in their possession. None of the passports were stamped,” he said in the press conference.

Mr Bester was found with documents that identified him as Mr Tommy William Kelly, an American citizen while Dr Magudumana had documentation that identified her as Martha Patience Mmerika Nitshini.

The passports, according to the South African government, which had received details from Tanzania, where the trio was nabbed, also showed that Mr Bester had more pseudonyms, further adding to the case’s complexity.

Continue Reading

Africa

Kenya’s Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua loses Twitter’s Blue tick

Published

on

United States (US) social networking giant, Twitter, has removed the blue verification badge from Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua’s account.

Gachagua who has over 500,000 followers on Twitter lost his blue tick on Sunday.

The blue verification badge is notably found on senior government officials, journalists or public figures.

The badge usually indicates that an account holder is a notable person in society, for instance, a senior government official, a journalist or a public figure. It was immediately established why the second in command lost the badge, but it is suspected due to the ongoing policy update, which among others, requires a monthly subscription.

Twitter announced that it will start facing out its legacy blue badges on April 1, 2023.

This follows the platform’s announcement last year, that users will now pay a monthly fee under Twitter Blue to have the badge (blue checkmark).

“On April 1st, we will begin winding down our legacy verified program and removing legacy verified checkmarks,” Twitter said on Friday.

Going forward, Twitter users who want the verification mark will now have to reapply under Twitter Blue.

The changes came about after Elon Musk bought the company.

Under Twitter Blue, subscribers will enjoy priorities in replies, mentions and searches, which Musk said was essential to defeat spam/scams.

They will also be able to post long videos and audio and get half as many adverts.

“There will also be a secondary tag below the name for someone who is a public figure, which is already the case for politicians,” Musk said.

Twitter’s verification which is denoted by a blue check next to the name of the user’s handle, was launched in 2009. This was three years after the launch of the site.

According to the Independent, it was first introduced after baseball legend Tony La Russa filed a lawsuit against Twitter in 2009 over an impersonator.

The idea of verification was that it could prove the identity of a user.

Musk announced a subscription fee of Sh972 ($8) per month for one to get the verification.

The announcement came after the world’s second wealthiest man took sole control of the social media giant in a contentious $44 billion deal (KSh 5.8 trillion). Power to the people! Blue for $8/month,” he tweeted, in reference to the platform’s famous blue checkmark that signals a verified, authentic account.

The new plan’s pricing would be adjusted by country “proportionate to purchasing power parity,” Musk added in the replies to his original tweet, and would also include “priority” in replying to and searching posts, which he called “essential to defeat spam/scam.”

Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua’s Twitter account without the verification blue badge.
Image: SCREEN GRAB

Continue Reading

Trending