Girls siphon fuel from school vehicles and burn dormitories
BY OLIVIA MUNGWANA
Ninety students at Kerugoya Girls Secondary School lost their valuables in a fire after their colleagues used petrol siphoned petrol from the school vehicles at their parking lot to burn the dormitories.
The incident happened on Sunday evening in the dormitories which hold at least 160 students each, while the school has a population of 1,200.
Some 40 students who had inhaled carbon dioxide as they tried to control the fire were rushed to the Kerugoya County Referral hospital, where they were treated and discharged.
Daniel Ndege, the Deputy County Commissioner said they advised the school management to allow the girls to go home.
“The students may have requested the principal to allow them to go home, but she ignored them,” said Ndege.
The security team spent the better part of the night in the school to put off the fire.
Kiplagat Korir , who is the Kirinyaga County investigations officer said they are questioning 13 students linked to the incident.
“We have started investigations and we want to find out the culprits behind this fire incident, “said Korir.