Connect with us


Somber mood as remains of Thika man who died in boiler are laid to rest



By Judith Gicobi

Caleb Otieno, the man who melted to ashes at a Thika steel plant, was laid to rest on Saturday in Kogony village in Kisumu, with emotions running high.

The family had yet to reckon with their relative’s death. The deceased mother was distraught and unable to speak to the press.

“He was everything to us; we don’t know how life will go on without him,” his father, Martin Oraro Odache, said in an interview with the media.

He couldn’t understand why his son was burned at the steel plant, or where other workers were during the entire process, or if he was doing everything by himself.

Odache informed the media that it has been difficult for his family, even with numerous burial fees, since his son’s death.

Caleb’s Aunt came screaming towards the farmhouse, calling Caleb’s name, on March 25, 2022, about lunchtime, he claimed.

“I wonder what had happened because she is the one who took Caleb to Thika where he secured a job. However, when he entered the homestead, others joined in wailing saying my son was no more. I was shocked and didn’t know what to do”

Odache stated that he instantly dialed Thika’s number and was informed that his son had been in an accident and appeared to be dead.

“So when we were preparing to go to Thika, I received another call telling me that where my son had an accident, he can’t be retrieved immediately since the boiler was too hot,” he explained, adding that they had to wait three days for the boiler to cool before leaving for Thika.

When they reached Thika, they were informed that their kid had been burned to ashes and that nothing remained of him.

“It has not been easy for us as the family, from the expenses during the entire period until we managed to finally bring the remains home on Friday night.”

Emotions ran high during the burial, even as locals said Caleb was still a young man who didn’t deserve to die,

His remains were laid to rest under a tent in a field near their home for the funeral mass, which was attended by relatives and friends.

Family, relatives, and friends paid their respects at the tents where Otieno was laid to rest. The casket was kept shut.

His brother, John Agwambo, thanked the media for their support, which has been extremely beneficial to the family.



Vihiga: Section of Secondary School dorm razed, no injuries



On Tuesday evening, a portion of a dormitory at Ebunangwe Boy’s Secondary School in Vihiga County caught fire.

Billy Maloba, a witness to the incident, estimates that the fire started at 8 o’clock.

“No one was injured in the accident since it happened when the students were doing their night preps in class,” he said.

Ebunangwe is a mixed boarding and day school.

The school has only one dormitory.

“It was raining around that time so it took a while for people to notice the fire,” Maloba, who said he lives a few metres from the school, said.

He claimed that once the fire was put out by the locals, the Vihiga fire department arrived.

Since property with an unknown value was destroyed, the cause of the fire has not yet been identified.

By the time of publication, the school still had not released a statement regarding the incident.

Continue Reading


Body of Ugandan man who drowned in River Sagana found



By Wanja Waweru

The body of a 21-year-old man who attempted to swim in the River Sagana l and drowned has been discovered.

Alex Mande drowned on May 18 and his body was discovered floating in Kengen Dam, some 10 kilometers from where he drowned.

Young Mande, a native of Bungoma in Uganda, perished while learning to swim in the choppy River Sagana in Kirinyaga county.

“The young man was out with his friend when he drowned,” said Joseph Mbirua, a resident of the area.

“His friend tried to help him from the waters but was unable. It was at this point that he raised alarm,” said Mbirua.

Villagers who arrived at the scene tried to search for the body in vain.

“Residents have been holding vigil on the river bank, combing the waters in search of the body until today when we received reports that his body had been discovered,” he said.

“The people of Rukanga stood with us during this difficult time. I would like to thank them and everyone who came to help us,” said Andrew Masiga, one of the family members.

“We are making arrangements to take the body to Bungoma in Uganda,” he said.

The body was taken to Murang’a hospital mortuary.

Continue Reading


3 children killed in accident in Kiambu



Three children from a Kiambu family lost their lives in a horrific car accident.

The mother of the murdered children claims that they were on their way to pick up their sister when the tragedy took place.

Three of the patients who passed away in the ICU at the time were with a sibling who had survived the disaster.

The children’s mother said that she was unable to determine how the kids got into the accident.

“They had gone to pick up their sister then they come back. I wouldn’t know how they found themselves here in this accident,” the woman told a local publication.

She stated that the last time she had from her children they were okay.

“The last time I spoke to them was at around 9.30 am. They told me they are okay. George left at 9 am to pick up his sister. I don’t know how all of them ended up in the accident scene,” she said.

Images seen from the accident scene show a lorry, a motorbike, and a separate vehicle.

The lorry had a cracked screen while the other vehicle had a broken bumper.

Continue Reading